My Suped Up SJP

I found one on Ebay and paid a lofty $65 (they are really becoming hard to find).
Added 3 Smokey Joe Silver vents and a thermo. Anxious to try it out!

DSC01743.JPG

DSC01740.JPG

Very nice, with that much bottom venting, you can use the side vents as extra exhaust when you really want to get it rip roaring.

Got any kind of ash catcher underneath?

Todd

Thank you for this post. I found a SJP at my local hardware store last week and bought it as a birthday present for my brother - who is sometimes grill challenged. Then I saw the thread about temp problems because of the stock vent location.

Your mod gave me an idea, but I had a question that you may have cosidered - why three vents? How about installing one bottom vent and then installing a one-touch cleaning system - effectively converting the SJP into a short legged OTS?

Thanks!

Pat
WSM
1991 Performer (restoration in progress)
OTS x 2
Smokey Joe
Non-Weber Gas (but I'm lookin!)

Pat,
There is a thread on converting to the one-touch system if you search.
I prefer the temp control, simplicity and portability of the old style vent. I installed 3 vents because I wanted to maximize airflow for steaks and have good control. The bowl is plenty big enough for 3.

If you go to the effort of modifying the vent system, its worthwhile (and easy) to install a lid gauge.

Thanks - I found the one touch thread.

The more I think about it, I like the three vent idea - a la WSM.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Pat

Let us know!

Measuring and lining up the vent holes is a little tricky due to the curve of the bowl, but its not too bad. I used a awl to mark and start the holes then a Unibit to drill.

Good luck!

To add to what Chris said, the "technology" they use in the uni's to do the actual drilling also goes easier on the porcelin, so less chipping and cracking.
Todd

Chris, i really like your grill, Im waiting for parts right now, I elected the One Touch silver pieces, you think that will do about the same amount of heat?

Originally posted by Dan H.:
...you think that will do about the same amount of heat?

I'm sure it will. It doesnt seem to take a great deal of fuel or air to get these small kettles very hot. Which ever way you choose to do it, the main thing is that you have some sort of vent under the coals.

Back