Grilled Stuffed Pork Chops & Skillet Stuffed Onions

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Well, you've got to post the good and the bad, right?

Pork chops stuffed with caramelized onion, smoke Gouda and BBQ Sauce from Cook's Illustrated Summer Grilling.

IMG_2830.jpg

At the turn...

IMG_2831.jpg

Done...and crushed.

IMG_2832.jpg

Plated with Skillet Stuffed Onions from Cook's Country.

IMG_2833.jpg

I way overcooked the chops. I can see where this would be a phenomenal meal but I ruined it by overcooking it. Oh well, can't win them all... The onions, that my wife cooked, were perfect and delicious!

I have eaten pork chops WAYYYY drier than those look. Those onions look phenomenal though, Can you share the recipe?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
Can you share the recipe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem, John.

Stuffed Onions
Serves 8

Fresh parsley is essential here: Don’t even think about using dried, which tastes dusty and stale.
5 slices hearty white sandwich bread , torn into pieces
4 yellow onions (3 1/2 to 4 inches each)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (see note)
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon sugar

1. TOAST CRUMBS Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse bread in food processor until coarsely ground. Bake bread crumbs on rimmed baking sheet, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.

2. PREPARE ONIONS Following photos 1 to 3, trim ½ inch from both stem and root ends of onions, peel, halve through equator, and pop out center of each half, leaving outermost 3 rings intact. Chop onion centers finely to measure 1 cup (reserve any additional onion for another use).

3. MAKE STUFFING Melt 3 tablespoons butter in large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chopped onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in ½ cup broth, parsley, zest, ½ cup cheese, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Transfer to bowl with bread crumbs and toss to combine.

4. BROWN ONIONS Sprinkle onion halves with sugar and season with salt and pepper. Melt additional 1 tablespoon butter in empty skillet over medium heat. Place 4 onion halves in skillet, wide ends down, and cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to plate and repeat with remaining butter and onion halves. Flip onions and return first batch to skillet, browned-side up. Add remaining broth and simmer, covered, until liquid evaporates and onions are softened, about 5 minutes.

5. STUFF ONIONS Heat broiler. Fill onion halves with bread-crumb mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Broil until stuffing is golden brown and heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Serve.

When I make the outside of the chops look good; there always over cooked. Maybe I need a hotter fire to start with to get the crisp on the outside and then cook a little bit indirect to finish? By the way, your meal looked awesome to me!!

I don't know Don... that looks dag-gum good right here! I never tried cookin' stuffed chops before ... in fact, i don't think i've EVER eeten stuffed chops before, butt i'd eet those for sure!
And yer onions are a dream! and i can't believe parsley is STILL sold DRIED.
icon_rolleyes.gif

what a waste.
Cook looks Great Don!

AAAHHHHH!!!!! Stuffed Onions!!

I read this post this afternoon and *KNEW* what was for dinner. Marinaded tuna steaks & Stuffed onions.

Outstanding!

Thanks for the great recipe.... I had to make it 'Passover friendly' so I substituted Motzah Meal for the bread. Totally yummy!

Brett

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brett Fields:
Thanks for the great recipe....Totally yummy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you liked it, Brett. It's a keeper for sure!

Back