4 meat comp plan with these cookers?

MKEvenson

TVWBB Wizard
Good morning. I have done one KCBS comp but only cooked 2 meats. The other 2 cooked by team mate. I am planning on going solo this year at least once. I have some transportation/space issues and am looking at a 3rd cooker. I have a 18.5 WSM, a 22.5 Weber Kettle and a smoky Joe. Am thinking about making a mini out of the Smoky Joe. If it were you and you had this equipment to cook on, how would you plan your cook? My initial idea is brisket and butts on the WSM, ribs on the kettle and thighs on the mini. Of course birds on the grill indirect has worked and ribs on the mini even if cut would also? Any suggestions?

Mark

I did butts and baby back ribs on the 22.5" at 250 - 275 degrees F, brisket on the 18.5" at 350 degrees F, and thighs on the 22.5" OTG at 350 degrees F(you could use your mini instead).

I've cooked KCBS contests on two 18.5" WSMs and ended up in the top 5, so it can be done with minimal equipment.
I'd plan on the butts and brisket on the WSM and have them off in time to do the ribs... do the chicken on the kettle. Have the smokey joe with you (just in case).

Do u do your brisket HH?

You could put that on the kettle, ribs and butts on the wsm, and chicken on the mini. I think the mini smoker mod would only help not hurt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaz S:
Do u do your brisket HH?

You could put that on the kettle, ribs and butts on the wsm, and chicken on the mini. I think the mini smoker mod would only help not hurt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last and 1st comp I did HH brisket on the WSM. Haven't decided on whether to stay HH or go back to Slow and Low. I really went the HH route cause I need sleep and have a hard time sleeping when the smoker is going even tho I have the Maverick alarm. Think that I will have to do a head to head.

Thanks for the input, Ya'll

Mark

I like Finney's suggestion - Finney - I'm sure this is an oft asked question, but brisket over butt or butt over brisket? I'm guessing butt over brisket?

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
I like Finney's suggestion - Finney - I'm sure this is an oft asked question, but brisket over butt or butt over brisket? I'm guessing butt over brisket?

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I actually had briskets on one and butts on the other...

But if on the same cooker.... Butts over briskets.
icon_biggrin.gif

Just a thought..

If you convert the SJS over to a mini the I would try doing the ribs on the mini and the thighs on the grill. You might even try putting the butt on the mini and the ribs over the brisket in the WSM.

I agree that you could pull the butt or brisket out in time to do your ribs but that would mean that you would have to hold that meat for a long time. Not saying it can't be done, I just wouldn't like doing it.

Russ

Hmmmmmmm, what about one 18" WSM for the biggest meat - say brisket - and three SJ conversions: one each for ribs, chicken thighs and butts????

Just a curious thought - it would be one of the most affordable set ups at the comp! Although thighs could easily be done on the kettle.

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Mark,

What temp range do you prefer for each meat ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the one KCBS comp last year I cooked the brisket HH. I cooked the chicken probably 250-275. Ribs at home usually 250-275, Butts I have done 225-250 and HH. I am undecided at this point whether to do the big meats HH or low. I did place 9th with HH brisket.
I have updated my equipment since I started this thread. Having added a Smoke-EZ. This esentially makes the 22.5 kettle into a large smoker. Did an all night butt a couple weeks ago. Turned out really nice. So I think that I can do a 4 meat with the WSM,kettle, Smoke ez and SJ. Starting off this year I have 2 cooks who will be joining the team which will make these kinds of decisions a lot easier. Will see how she plays out. Thanks for all the comments from you all.

Mark

This year I plan to run butts on the 22" WSM, ribs on the 18" WSM, and chicken on the perfomer. My uncle should be taking care of the brisket on his smoker. If I had to handle it on mine, I would put it on the 22".

With the Smoke EZ it should really help with the larger meats.

Back