Good Injection Recipes

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
For Pork Butt? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rick, This might be of interrest to you. Pork Butt Injection .

Rick,

Here's the recipe used by Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Decatur, AL for pork shoulders.

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

DIRECTIONS

Inject shoulder with injection solution (1/2 oz. Per pound).
Coat well with rub mixture (4 oz. Per shoulder).
Gently pat shoulder so rub will adhere.

Cook on pit or smoker for 1 hour per pound on 225 degrees.

Rick,

May be a little late, but this is from one of the best teams on the MIM circuit.............

Pork Injection Marinade

1 cup Apple juice or cider
1/4 cup Cider vinegar
1/4 cup Water
2 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Pork rub(whatever you will use to rub the butt)
2 tablespoon(s) Corn syrup

Powderize the rub using a mortar and pestle.
Inject into pork butts. This will make enough to inject 1, 8lb. pork butt.

Hey Kevin, do you happen to have a good beef injection marinade also?? Read your post on the chuck roast. Would this help? When do you start checking the chuck roast for doneness? If you didn't foil I assume it would take forever to smoke? Yours looked great!!!

Paul....

Have never injected a brisket so not much help. However, I do not like "sweet" on my beef so would use something quite different than the pork. When foiling my briskets to hold, I use beef broth, so maybe just that and some woost sauce.

That darn chuck roast did take forever even when I foiled!! LOL I just go by looks more than anything. Once I see a nice bark has formed I will start testing for doneness. I no longer use a thermo...just a twist of the fork is all that is needed.

Sorry, not Kevin.

Here’s a variation of Ray Lampe’s beef injection that I used last weeked on a brisket. I was very pleased with it. I just bought his book and already have 10 things I want to try. It's also a really good read.

Rita

BIG COW BEEF INJECTION (Makes 2 1/4 cups – use 1 cup injection liquid for each 5–6-pound brisket flat)

2 cups beef broth (Knorr bouillon beef cube)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

I ADDED:
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (smooth type)
1/4 cup canola oil

(Make the whole recipe; you’ll have some waste.)

Combine the beef cube, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne in a 2-cup measure.
Pour in 2 cups boiling water.
Cover and steep for at least 15 minutes¸ preferably until cooled to room temperature.
Stir in Worcestershire sauce. Chill before injecting.

(My addition: Add the mustard, and canola oil.
Before injecting, emulsify with a stick blender.)

Original recipe from “”Dr. BBQ’s Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook” by Ray Lampe, page 40, © St. Martin’s Griffin, New York

Paul, I couldn't cook the brisket when I'd planned to, so I aged it (uncovered) in the refrigerator for a week or so because I didn't want to put it into the freezer. Right or wrong, I reasoned that it might wind up being a little dry so I added the oil since brisket flats are so lean anyway. I think it helped because the flat was nice and moist, but how can you really check that?

I'd like to hear some comments from the experts about that. Most people don't inject their briskets - it seems to be something that's fairly recent. Now I'm afraid NOT to inject it!

Back