New (used) performer and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wise

I just purchased a used red performer. After talking to Weber, I believe its a '94 model. It was in fairly good condition, has a few dings/dents and I may end up trying to touch up the paint in those places. I had to order a new cooking grate, new burner assembly, and cleaner system (have to drill out the current one to remove it as well as its rusted).
In replacement parts I spent $70 (with shipping from weber). Purchased it for $50. Good deal???
Also... can I use a 20lb tank with it? It didn't come with a tank (uses the old style 5lb tanks) The regulator will screw into the new style tanks but on the inner threads instead of outter. Will the 20lb work as is or do I need to replace the regulator or is it a bad idea altogether and I should get a 5 lb? The manual says not to use a larger tank, but I don't quite know why one wouldn't work and figured I'd ask here first.
Also, any suggestions on how to touch up the spots where the paint is coming off? Could I repaint the whole exterior? Will high temp oven/engine paint work/stick to the enamel if its cleaned well first?

Thanks,
Michael

Remove the old style fitting at the regulator and replace it with an Acme nut and get a replacement tank with the OPD fitting.
You can touch up the dings in the kettle with Dupli-Color Engine Red. To remove the One Touch sweeps, cut both sides of the handle where it goes through the nut with the thumbscrew and it will fall out.

I picked up a rustbucket Performer and couldn't justify dumping a load of cash into and made a cart for my WSM's with the frame. I put the bowl on legs and hooked a 5 gallon propane tank to it and use it to light the briqs for my La Caja.

This wasn't too rusted. There is no real apparent rust on the kettle itself, just a few dents I'd like to paint over to prevent rusting. Some of the screws/hardware are rusted, the burner was rusted and the ash cleaner was rusted. The ash bucket/holder parts were perfectly fine.

So, then I suppose the original regulator will work just fine then with the 20lb tank?
The old style fitting screws into my new style 20lb tanks... can I not use it that way? Or should I really replace it with the acme/opd style?

Thanks

AFAIK new style tanks are DESIGNED to work with both old & new regulators. The old style tanks had a problem and were phased out, nothing wrong with the old regulators other then their working with the old style tanks.

I have no clue why Weber said to not use large (20 #) tanks with the old style performer.

Then I'll just buy a new acme nut (OPD style) and put it on the old regulator, and then use one of the two 20 lb tanks I already have. No need to spend $50 on 5 lb, when I have 2 20s and 20s are cheaper anyway.

My Red P had the the OPD tank but with the old style screw in fitting and the rustbucket black one had a QR fitting. An Acme nut fitting screws onto the outside threads of the tank. @ $8 at Ace Hardware or from Mr. Heater

Some of my stuff screws onto the OUTSIDE threads on the gas tank valve (New Style) some screws to the INSIDE threads (Old Style). NO MATTER - the new OPD valve on the tanks was designed to work with both older and newer equipment - no need to update the regulator. However, all tanks should be updated and all of mine have been.

If you have an old style tank (with a valve handle that does NOT have 3 lobes,) email me for a cheap, easy and SAFE way to update it.

both of my tanks are new (exchangable) tanks.
Any chance the performers starter would work with NG? I have a NG connection on the side of my house. If so, would the original regulator work with it, just get a hose to make the connection from the house to the regulator?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Wise:
both of my tanks are new (exchangeable) tanks.
Any chance the performers starter would work with NG? I have a NG connection on the side of my house. If so, would the original regulator work with it, just get a hose to make the connection from the house to the regulator? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I suspect that you would need a different orifice, but you better talk to someone that knows more than I do!

What I do know is with my newer performer, I screw a little propane tank (like I use on a lantern) to the cooker and I can roll the sucker where I want to go. If you get a safe NG connection, won't you have to be connected to the house (PITA)??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back