What are judges looking for now?

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I'm competing in my first rib tourney in Toronto in June. Does anyone have an opinion on what judges are into these days? I expect the traditional sweet, tomato based glaze. Any opinions on how to differentiate from the crowd?

Thanks

I believe you said earlier this is a local backyard comp? It is crapshoot wheather they have judging experience or just good eats. The backyard comps I am familier with do still try to follow kcbs scoring categories. Taste, tenderness, and presentation. My experience is whether experienced or not as well as feeding friends is sweet is a big hit and favored. Currently a sweet savory rub with a sweet style kc style sauce are my plans for my next backyard comp

No, it's an amateur comp at an established Rib-Fest. There are 30 competitors and an established point based process for judging. I'd say the judges are probably less sophisticated than KCBS people but they are BBQ people. As mentioned, I'd like to do a dry rib but I think it wouldn't fly at this comp.

Extra tender is a must because everyone thinks fall off the bone is where it is at. I hate that but it is true. I find that to be true often in KCBS too. Mix sweet and spicy and good luck.

Bill - This is an unsanctioned comp. The judges are just local volunteers/BBQ enthusiasts, not trained judges. Scoring is a 100 point system, 20 for appearance, 30 for Texture/Tenderness and 50 for Taste. Entrants are provided with 2 racks of backs and have to submit at least 6 bones, no garnishes in 5 hours. All other tools and ingredients are the responsibility of the entrant. Pre made sauces and rubs are allowed.

Dale - I also figured extra tender would be better and sweet with a little kick sounds about right as well. Thanks.

Dale is absolutely correct. Be sure to overcook the ribs so that they are 'Falling off the bone tender'. You might even want to consider (shudder) boiling them. Unfortunately that's what the general public is brainwashed to think is the best. So many of the restaraunts that offer ribs overcook the snot out of them.

Also, oversauce them a little bit. For some reason people just love to take a bite and come away with a covered face.

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ Sylvester:
Dale is absolutely correct. Be sure to overcook the ribs so that they are 'Falling off the bone tender'. You might even want to consider (shudder) boiling them. Unfortunately that's what the general public is brainwashed to think is the best. So many of the restaraunts that offer ribs overcook the snot out of them.

Also, oversauce them a little bit. For some reason people just love to take a bite and come away with a covered face.

Russ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

technically, the terms "done" and "overcooked" are completely subjective when it comes to how food is cooked.

the KCBS defines how they think ribs should be served, but that is simply their opinion.

There are two things that we can control...appearance and texture. Our flavor profiles were developed with the mindset of not offending any judge...in other words a balance of smoke, spice, and sweet. The mainstream flavor profiles seem to be working well for the most part. We see a lot of Plowboy/Butcher/Blues Hog combinations out there as well as Kosmo's and Simply Marvelous products. Good luck!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I agree with the slightly over cooked / fall off the bone tender recommendation. I would also make the sauce extra sweet.

You should also check on what is allowed for garnish, if it is open garnish, get creative with it. I cooked a backyard comp last year where the winning team put $1 bills and drink tokens in the turn in box. They ended up winning...I don't agree with what they did but it worked for them that day.

While I agree with you that 'doneness' is subjective, I will say that overdone to me is working like crazy to keep the meat on the bone while I'm slicing them.

Now that may be an extreme example but the point is that given enough times cooking ribs, one should be able to tell if they are overcooked or not.

My opinion

Russ

Isn't this the million dollar question? What limited success I've had was with sweet-spicy flavors and thoroughly cooked meats...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Plunkett:

You should also check on what is allowed for garnish, if it is open garnish, get creative with it. I cooked a backyard comp last year where the winning team put $1 bills and drink tokens in the turn in box. They ended up winning...I don't agree with what they did but it worked for them that day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is abominable!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Plunkett:
I agree with the slightly over cooked / fall off the bone tender recommendation. I would also make the sauce extra sweet.

You should also check on what is allowed for garnish, if it is open garnish, get creative with it. I cooked a backyard comp last year where the winning team put $1 bills and drink tokens in the turn in box. They ended up winning...I don't agree with what they did but it worked for them that day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A team did that at the unsanctioned, rib only part of a contest last year. It got them DQ'd and an angry visit from the contest reps.

that's disgusting.
a crumpled up newspaper from the trash is likely more sanitary than a bunch of $1 bills that have been floating around in currency for a decade.

what made matters worse was that the organizer thought it was hilarious. She brought the turn in box around to all the teams to show them before she took it to the judges. I considered it a lesson learned, those are the risks taken when competing in a non-sanctioned event that has no rule about garnish. It was still a great day spent with friends!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Harvey:
No garnish allowed at this comp
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it's just a sauce contest rather than a garnish contest?
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

How do you usually cook your ribs? If you use the 321 method, you might want to go 3 - 2.5 - 1 or 3 - 3 - 1.

When you foil the ribs, add extra honey and brown sugar. In the last five minutes, glaze the sauce w/ simple syrup.

Soft and sweet usually wins people's choice contests.

Eric

Jim - I'm hoping the actual cook/smoke results have a place alongside the sauce
icon_smile.gif

Eric - I don't really have a set process. I'm a backyard cook at best. Sometimes I foil, sometines I don't. My issue with foiling is a tendency to overcook. This gives me texture problems that I'm not as worried about given that I'm probably going to have to provide an entry that is fall off the bone vs. bite tender. A bigger isue is slicing neatly for presentation. I notice that my foiled ribs are tough to get a clean slice from due to overtendernness if that's a word. I know this goes back to the original cook process but I don't tend to have the same issue with unfoiled ribs while cutting. I use Globals to slice and sharpen them myself with a whetstone. They may not be professionally sharp but they're pretty good.

I was just giving you a hard time.
icon_wink.gif

With all the online discussions of what judges are looking for these days, many conversations seem to point to having just the right sauce rather than cooking your turn-ins perfectly and having the sauce as a compliment rather than the focus of what you cook.

Back