Thermometer busted after only 2nd use

TonyD

TVWBB Fan
Anyone else had issues with their thermometer on the new 22"?

The next day after smoking some chicken wings, I went outside to place the cover on my WSM and noticed that the thermometer was pegged (needle at the highest reading). At no time during the cooking session did the temp go above 350 degrees. And the outside temp has been in the 20's for the past few days.

I've emailed Weber customer support to see what they can do. Anyone else had issues like this one?

This is the first time I've heard of this issue, but I must say that sucks. Hopefully Weber will hook you up with a replacement therm. Definiteley sounds like a bad therm to me.

I would give them a call instead of sending an email. I called them a couple days ago because I received an incorrect charcoal grate and it took less than 5 min from the time I hit "call" to have a new one shipped to me, free of charge.

I was going to give them a call per Matt's suggestion this morning, but when I checked the email they had responded. They are sending me a replacement thermometer no questions asked!

Thanks to all

Here is the text of the email they sent me if anyone is interested:

From: "support@weberstephen.com" <support@weberstephen.com>
To: Tony D
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:13:25 PM
Subject: Ticket: EABDAC849E303 Re: Thermometer broken on my new WSM 22"

Hello Tony,

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear that your thermometer has broken on your grill. I will be happy to send out a replacement for you. Please provide the following information.

FULL ADDRESS
SERIAL CODE
PURCHASE DATE

Please provide the serial code from your grill. It can be found on the Lid damper (silver metal piece on the top of the lid). The serial code consists of two letters etched into the damper, directly under the "B" in Weber.

Thank you, I will wait to hear from you.

If you have additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us. If replying via email, please leave this message intact as it will help us to respond faster. We are open from 7am to 11pm CST.

Thank you for choosing Weber\Ducane.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Dyishan
Weber/ Ducane Customer Service
1890 North Roselle Road Ste. 308
Schaumburg, IL. 60195.
Weber Customer Service Phone 800-446-1071
Ducane Customer Service Phone 800-382-2637
Fax 847-407-8900
Canadian Customer Service 1-800-265-2150
Canadian E-mail info@omcbbq.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TonyD:
The next day after smoking some chicken wings, I went outside to place the cover on my WSM and noticed that the thermometer was pegged (needle at the highest reading). At no time during the cooking session did the temp go above 350 degrees. And the outside temp has been in the 20's for the past few days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried heating the therm back up to see what it reads? Perhaps the needle stop for cold temp is so far around the dial that it just appears to be "pegged" on the hottest setting in your 20 degree weather?

What B. Watts said. When I took R4D4 to Fire on Ice someone stopped to look at it and said "no fuel and you are already at high temp".

Thanks. I will try re-heating. But either way, it looks like I'm getting a new one. See above...

Its cold out here (southern Ontario) and my therm is "pegged" too, i think its just reading really low.

As it works out, it seems as though I was a little too sensative...or maybe it was the Sam Adams. The thermo is fine, it had just gone right by the top marker on the dial. When things cooled down, it went back down through the regular settings. Alll is fine and I now have an extra thermo....sorry Weber!! No bad intent here!! Really!

Back