My Mexican Chile Powder

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
Just posted this recipe on the BBQ board in reponse to someone and figured I'd share here. This is a pretty basic chile powder and is the basis for all my rubs. Depending on what I plan on smoking, I add salt and sugar to varying degrees to this. Sort of like my instant rub recipe.

MEXICAN CHILE POWDER / RUB BASE

2 ancho chiles
3 guajillo chiles
5-6 chipotles (not canned)
2 tsp whole cumin
2 tsp whole coriander
1 TB dried mexican oregano
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder

Toast the chiles on a dry skillet for a few seconds until they release flavor, then set aside until they are dry. I seed them, then throw them into a spice grinder with all the other ingredients and grind to the fineness you desire.

I suppose I could add other dried herbs... maybe some marjoram. But I sort of like keeping it simple.

As a chile head I have to say that looks amazing! I have wanted to make my own chile powder for some time but the "super" markets in my area suck, they only have dried habaneros...and just that in a chile powder isn't the best of an idea as you can imagine
icon_redface.gif
Have you thought about using any pasilla, cascabels or new mexicos in your powder?

I've used a lot of new mexico, mulattos and others... haven't used cascabels. I've kind of settled on the ancho/guajillo/chipotle trio. However, I'm always open to new options!!!

Funny... I haven't done any ground habanero. I'll have to do that. I love the fruitiness of habs.

Where in Mass are you? I bet you could find a small latin market somewhere within 10-15 miles. They always have guajillos and anchos. Sometimes not chipotles, but hey, that is why we have a WSM, right? Smoke them ourselves!

Back