BBQ'd Corn-on-the-cob

Rob B.

TVWBB Pro
I saw lots of people eating corn they had bought at a festival, that was obviously from a pit. Anyone ever done this, with the husks still on? I'd like to try selling it at our Mardi Gras parade coming up. I'm thinking maybe boil in some Cajun seasoned water for a while (how long?), then put on a 225* pit for a while to finish (how long?). Whatta ya think?

I soak in cold salted water. Cook in a hot smoker or on a Ranch kettle serve with butter and salt or rub. You could try the spices in the cold water or just serve with a Cajun rub.

Rob,

I soak mine in cold water and 2 cups of sugar per dozen. Soak for at least 6 hours then throw on the grill for about 45 minutes. Best sweet corn I've ever had.

During the soak you might want to add some liquid crab boil, that should spice things up.

Yes, but do you remove the husks so that the smoke gets to the kernals or do you just leave the husks alone and peel when done?

You'll need to leave the husks on or risk drying out the kernels. Some people like to peel back the husk, remove the silk, then out the husk back in place. It makes for a neater appearance, but I never bother.

Good 'ol Jersey sweet corn hot off the grill is something else. I don't even bother with the butter or salt! Mmmmmm... getting hungry now.

As a follow-up...
Soaked the sweet candy corn in ice water for 4-5 hours. Didn't open it up at all, which as some mentioned was a good idea. The corn was ready in about an hour and a half, but I was able to leave it on the smoker and "hold" it for 6 hours and it was still in real good shape. Leaving the husks intact kept it sealed and moist throughout the whole time.
Thanks for the tips!

If you've only grilled corn with the husks on, you have to try it directly on the grill, husks off completely or peeled back.....depending on the presentation you want. I had always done the water soaked, husks on, until I was thumbing through "How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen. He insisted that once tried a person would convert. I still like it both ways but this is faster due to no soaking. The recipe calls to brush with garlic butter, but olive oil works fine too. You have to watch it and it took some practice deciding when to turn and when done, but it really adds some great flavor. If you leave the husks on, leave them sticking out the front of the grill, so they don't burn.....instant handle, for eating.

Back