Leftover Smoked Ham and Egg Salad

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
If there is any remote possibility of having some leftover smoked ham, keep this recipe in mind.

Happy New Year everyone!
Rita

SMOKED HAM AND EGG SALAD
(Restaurant Akershus, Norway Pavilion, Epcot)

2 cups cubed smoked ham
1 cup cubed boiled eggs

1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Egg wedges, for garnish
Fresh parsley, for garnish

1. PLACE HAM AND EGGS in a mixing bowl.

2. DRESSING. Mix sour cream and next 5 ingredients. Pour over the diced ham and eggs. Toss well.

3. GARNISH with egg wedges and parsley.

Rita, where in the H have you been? Been a few askin' 'bout you.

Oh, and that recipe sounds good enough to smoke a ham for /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Thanks!

Thanks, Bill. I've spent all of last year testing recipes for Maggie Glezer's forthcoming (Fall '04) bread book. Lots of awesome challah, pita, and other ethnic breads. Kept me pretty busy, but it was also very rewarding.

I know that the ham and the salad will turn out great.

This is what happens when you use the "Back" button . . . /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Thanks Rita ~ I'd love to hear more about the bread when you get time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rita Y:
[qb] Sure, Bill. Anything special you'd like to know? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not Bill, but I would like to ask a question please. Do you use a stand mixer to mix bread dough? If so, which one REALLY can handle the job. Looking to buy one this month but don't know which one to get!

Thanks, Jim

(Chris, sorry that this is so long. Should this part of the thread be moved to a separate thread?)

Hi Jim,
That's a question I'm beginning to struggle with too. There has been a lot of discussion on the Bread-Bakers lists about various mixers (Bosh, Magic Mill, Dimension 2000, etc.) with none, it seems, being a clear winner:

http://www.bread-bakers.com/

This Yahoo group came my way yesterday and I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but you might try:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mixer-Owners/

I have an old KitchenAid 5-quart that was made by Hobart and has been quite faithful, especially considering the workout it has gotten this past year and for the previous book (plug: Maggie Glezer's "Artisan Baking Across America"). Since Hobart doesn't make the KitchenAid anymore, though, I've heard quite a few complaints about the machine (motor burning up). I'd suggest going to your local repair shop and talking to them about their perception of the quality of the machine.

I hope folks here who have the newer KitchenAids will chime in on how satisfied they are with their mixers.

Also, I've seen suggestions to look for a second-hand Hobart-made KitchenAid on Ebay.

Remember, though, that KitchenAid makes several models, some with higher wattages and the latest models with 6-quart bowls.

Of course, a lot depends on what type of mixing you'll be doing - heavy bread doughs or cakes and cookies. And the attachments that are available - pasta maker, sausage stuffer, grain mill (KA's is so-so), meat grinder, etc.

I tried a Kenwood (now Delonghi) for a month or so but found it extremely noisy and the narrow bowl, which helps make it a good mixer, made it difficult to add things and difficult to easily see what is going on with the doughs. But it's a workhorse which can make batch after batch of bread dough and a lot of people like it.

You can see the new Viking and the Electrolux at:

www.kingarthurflour.com (click on the Baker's Catalog and search for "mixer")

Here is one of the messages from last week's bread-bakers list that might be helpful:

------------------------

A good contact is Giselle at MountainTops Milling who is a member of the Yahoo group. She handles both Bosch and Electrolux, but is very helpful without trying to sell you anything. (I have seen lots of complimentary comments about the service she provides.) She gave me a lot of advice when I was trying to decide between a Bosch and the Electrolux. I eventually bought the latter
because it is even more heavy duty than the Bosch and have been very satisfied with it, once I conquered the learning curve.

------------------------------------

Hope this helps. I too would be interested in what others here have to say about mixers.

Rita

Hobart supplies "industrial/commercial" grade products to many institutions. If you have a Hobart item in need of repair or parts, they must come from Hobart. All parts are proprietary to them. They cannot be gotten from the original manufacturer. However, their service dept is exceptional in tracking down the parts you need and they are happy to let you know where to get them.
Sorry, this is entirely off topic but thought the response might be helpful.
Shall we start over? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Same to you, Jim. Have to keep you cookin' - your experience keeps this site jumpin'!

Rita

Hi Rita,

Well nothing in particular, but I was curious not only about what Jim asked, but the rest of your kitchen as well. And since the book isn't coming out until Fall, any sneak previews? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And just how many recipies did you test?

BTW, that was a great reply to Jim ~ Very informative, and I, for one, like the long responses. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks Rita

Hang on, I'm working on it. Maggie says "sure!" I'll post a recipe in the Recipe section (duh!) as soon as I can. It may be a few days.

Any sourdough bakers out there?

Rita

Haven't used sourdough since I moved up here from Orlando, but it sounds like I'm gonna get a starter started in the morning. Thanks a million, Rita!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hi all, Was looking for info on resmoking hams so I could put Rita's recipe of Smoked Ham and Egg Salad to good use and ran across this nicely put together page about ham selection and preparation: Click here It includes:

? What Is Ham? ? Curing Ingredients ? Wet And Dry Curing (City Ham And Country Ham) ? Ham Cuts: Whole, Half, Bone-In, Boneless ? Natural Juices, Water Added, And Water Product ? Spiral-Sliced Hams ? Ready To Eat vs. Ready To Cook ? How Much Ham Should I Buy? ? Serving Temperature ? Cooking Ham On The Weber Bullet ? Carving A Ham ? Storage ? Nutrition ? Ham Do's And Don'ts ? Glossary Of Ham Terms

Good reading for newbies like me.

BTW, I covered Rita's last post about bread baking ~ If there are any sourdough bread bakers out there, she has a really good recipe!! But she needs to hear from more than just me before she posts it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back