Cookbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.R. Markovic

Is there a cookbook out there that has a lot of simple and good recipes for the smoker? I have looked at the Smoke and Spice cookbook and most of the recipes seem very complicated. What I am looking for is something that has basic recipes for beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and vegetables.

If you know of some good ones please let me know.

Hi Thomas,

I've got a couple of ideas. Of the six or seven barbecue cookbooks I have, the simplest seems to be John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-Q. It covers all the basic barbecue meats, with most recipes consisting of a simple application of one of John's rub recipes and sometimes a basting liquid.

Another alternative would be to get Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces. This book focuses of rubs, sauces, and marinades, and includes many recipes that are fairly simple. It also has a good section on how you can create your own signature rub.

Armed with the info from Chef Paul's book, you could whip up a good rub and use it on any of the barbecue meats you mentioned. To simplify matters further, do as Chef Paul does...cook all barbecue meats at the same temperature--in the range of 225-240*F--just for varying lengths of time. Baby back ribs for around 4-5 hours, spares for 5-6 hours, turkey breast for 4 hours, pork butt about 1-1/2 hr/lb to 180-190*F internal, brisket about 1-1/2 hr/lb to 185-205*F internal.

Thomas,

I have followed the advice Chris offered as far as smoking my meats. I smoke everything at the same temp but for different times. This takes away any need for a cookbook. It comes down to 2 things you need to do after that.......

1). What rub or marinade do you use?
2). What sauce do you use to finish and/or mop?

There are so many sites out on the internet that there is really no need for a cookbook. If you are interested in some of these, post back and I will furnish you with many links!

Stogie

Stogie,

Please let me know what sites have good recipes for rubs and marinades. My tastes is more for spicy than sweet.

I'm a little old fashioned when it comes to some things and I like having a book with pictures readily available when cooking.

Thanks for your help.

Thomas R. Markovic

Thomas...

Here are several links to help you out! Sorry, no pictures, but none are needed!! These are mainly just sauces and rubs. Really easy. If you want more heat in ANY of these, simply add Cayenne pepper or some other "heater". I personally grow my own Habs and then dry them or make into a hot sauce and use all year.
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/southside1/BarbecueSauces.htm
http://recipes.taronga.com/sauces-bbq/default.html
http://www.gabn.net/smokeshack/saucerub.htm
http://bbqcentral.hypermart.net/amregions/overview.htm

This last site is great for learning the differences between the sauces and the region of the country where they are prevalent.

Hope this gives you enough to try for the summer.

One suggestion I will make is to serve the sauces ON THE SIDE!! I never, ever slather the sauce on the meat when cooking! I serve 3-4 sauces on the side at the table. Go out and buy the cheap paint brushes(get "natural" bristles) at a hardware store and let the guests "paint" their own ribs!

Have fun!!

Stogie

Thanks to everyone who submitted book suggestions and web sites with recipes. There is a lot more preperation to BBQ'n than I originally thought. However, the pay off is well worth it. We smoked two chickens yesterday, one was Chicken on a Throne, same as you Chris. The other chicken had a mild rub on it from John Willingham's book. Both turned out great. I think the fact that you have to prepare so much before smoking increases the anticipation of the meal. There is one thing that baffles me, the chicken on the lower grate with the rub had more of a smokey flavor than the Chicken on a Throne did which was on the top grate. I don't know if the position or the recipes had anything to do with it. Has anyone else found that food in the lower grate has more smokey flavor?

Beats me about smokiness varying based on which grate is used. I've never noticed any difference.

I know that the acids in a marinade, as done with vinegar in Chicken on the Throne, will change the texture of meat. Maybe this changes its ability to absorb the smoke flavor? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back