Added swivel casters to my WSM

Rusty Barton

TVWBB Pro
Well, I broke down and got out my drill and made a mod to my WSM. I drilled a hole on the bottom of the curve of each leg and added some threaded swivel casters. I added the casters to make it easier to move the WSM from garage to patio along a paved walkway. I don't intend to move it while it's cooking. They were just some 2" swivel casters that were laying around my garage. I may change them out for some locking casters if the need arises.

Rusty

I can see my wsm now, taking a slow cruise across my patio on a nice windy day.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by John Chips:
Rusty, I put handles on mine. I find it's easier to carry than roll! John.

I'm going to add side handles next for easier assembly and dis-assembly. I will mount the handles using the existing grill mounting screws and nuts.

Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
I can see my wsm now, taking a slow cruise across my patio on a nice windy day.
icon_biggrin.gif

I have 45 MPH wind gusts here today, I could just see mine rolling across the deck.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Paul K:
What about locking casters?

I'm going to change mine out for locking casters. But 45-mph winds is probably getting near the tip over range for the WSM even with only original legs.

icon_eek.gif

Rusty

Rusty,

I thought of putting them on the legs also, but they just don't seem strong enough to me to be used as rolling supports if you are hitting any type of bumps/sticks/stones.
I just made a little platform out of treated lumber and put the casters on the platform. It also made the WSM sit about 6-8" higher which I like. I am using 4" casters, 2 swivel, 2 none swivel.

Howdy, new and proud and now roving WSM owner. This is a great web site, I'm learning tons. Added some casters today using 1/2 inch conduit as a frame to sturdy it up. It rolls nice and smooth.

WSMmod-002ul.jpg

WSMmod-003ul.jpg

WSMmod-005ul.jpg

WSMmod-009ul.jpg

We'll have to see how she handles with a full load. The paver gaps in the bbq sanctuary hold her in place very nicely. On a smooth surface I'd add a brake.

Tonight I cook beef!

Donald

Cool mod! How may miles per gallon does that puppy get? What kinda things you cook up with that burner stand in the background?

What kinda things you cook up with that burner stand in the background?

Kingsford Charcoal Briquets!

Thanks for noticing
icon_wink.gif

Full can ready in five minutes...

Starter-002ul.jpg

Otherwise it's used for turkey fry parties during the holidays.

Until today my favorite Mods (based on ease of modification and utility) were
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Garage Door Handles<LI>Guru-hollow Rivet for thermo<LI>foil wrapped clay saucer in the "water pan"[/list]
I think that after the 42 days of work I have left, I shall install Donald's hoop and wheels to have a fully tricked out WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back