Weber 18 1/2-inch One-Touch Platinum mod questions

Derry Bryson

TVWBB Member
I'm not real clear on this mod, but does the middle section and top of the wsm just fit on this grill replacing the bottom section of the wsm without mods? I found one used for $50, but it's 2 hrs away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derry Bryson:
I'm not real clear on this mod, but does the middle section and top of the wsm just fit on this grill replacing the bottom section of the wsm without mods? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes
icon_biggrin.gif
OK $50.00 and 2 hrs one way? + gas = buy a new one and save some $$$$$.
icon_wink.gif

Yes it does, but you will want to add air intakes as the ash pan will clog if left unattened on longer cooks or just clear it every couple of hours.This will servre as your temp control as well so dont leave it open, all you need is about a 1/4" or less.

I'm assuming you are saying I'm right about the mod working the way I think (i.e. being a no-brainer where I just stack my wsm on the one-touch platinum), but that the cost plus gas is too much? Where can I buy the 18 1/2" one-touch platinum cheaper?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derry Bryson:
I'm assuming you are saying I'm right about the mod working the way I think (i.e. being a no-brainer where I just stack my wsm on the one-touch platinum), but that the cost plus gas is too much? Where can I buy the 18 1/2" one-touch platinum cheaper? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes it fits right into the kettle bottom. Well mind you, my Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 at best, gets 15mpg if I drive like a senior person on Sunday, which isn't going to happen any time soon, it's more like 10-12 mpg.
icon_rolleyes.gif
You prob are better off than I in the mpg department, so it might pay you to drive for it. Not sure what they go for new at HD, prob $119.00 would be my guess.

Where could I get one for $119? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well what I meant to say was get in the car, truck, or walk and get that grill cause they don't make that one anymore. I miss read your post. I thought you were talking about the 18.5" Gold, my bad.
icon_frown.gif

Thanks for the info guys. I bought it and will pick it up Saturday. Even if I don't end up using it with the WSM, I'll have a nice grill.

I see that alot of people seem to do this. What is the benefit? Is it just to have a side table? Why would you want you WSM on a kettle base?

I don't like bending over - so I put my WSM middle and top on a 18" OTS base - I also put the coal ring and grate in the kettle.

finally nabbed a 18.5 OTP
icon_smile.gif
.. its a little beat up but i cleaned it up and threw the WSM 2/3s on top... cant wait to try it out...

any tips on operating procedure that might change with this mod... i think working the ash cleaner back and forth every hr or so was suggest to prevent clogging? any others?

Back