Smoked Blue cheese Meatloaf

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Smoked Blue Cheese Meatloaf

3 lb Fresh Italian sausage
8 oz blue cheese
1-2 bag diced onions
4 eggs
Club crackers (somewhere around 1/2 strip or enough to get it to stick together)

Mix all in a bowl with your hands adding the crackers last.

I usually smoke this out of a pan for more flavor and more fat rendering.

Cook to 155-160*F in the smoker or kettle.

Let rest a couple before cutting.

Spray the rack with cooking spray to help prefvent adhesion.

Run the smoker with an empty waterpan and shoot for 300-325*F for temps.

Enjoy

Have never done a WSM meatloaf and looking to try one. Have some fresh hot Italian sausage in the freezer, and I certainly like bleu cheese. Do you flatten out the meat, add the cheese and then kinda roll it up so it doesn't melt away from the outside?

Puzzling over the onions. Must be a typo, or maybe a type of onion I'm not familiar with. If neither, are those 1-2 bags of onions 3 lb bags or 5 lb bags?
icon_smile.gif

I think it's referring to frozen diced onions, typically sold in bags of about 10 ounces.

I'd just mix it all in, making sure your sausage, beef and cheese are well intermingled. I made this a week ago and it came out quite nice. Definitely one in which I'd do again.

the onions were originally hose bags that Doug is referring to but I just use a couple of onions and chop them most of the time.

Karls right mix it in but there is no beef in this recipie it was originally made with pork italian sausage. But hey its meatloaf and you can put whatever you want in it!!!

Made the Bleu Cheese Meatloaf on Saturday. Fantastic! I changed it just a little - used 1 lb. grd beef and 2 lbs. of Italian sausage.

Then I started wondering about a rub or a sauce to go with it.

When I was making it, it was just sitting there on the parchment paper waiting to go on the WSM begging for a rub (maybe it was just me).

Then when I took it off the WSM it just looked like it wanted a sauce drizzled over it. But I don't have any clue what flavors/spices/herbs go with Bleu Cheese.

Anyone have an idea for a rub or sauce for this terrific meatloaf? Something that compliments the Bleu Cheese flavor? I'm a complete novice at flavor blending.

Well, sitting here 0330 munching on leftovers of this wonderful meatloaf.

Tom, thanks for an excellent recipe. As it was, I modified it slightly, 1# hamburger, 1# mild Italian, and Gorgonzola (because we had it on hand), mushrooms, onions, orange bell pepper and a little oregano..

Want to try hot Italian sometime...that should be special also.

Trevor:

If you don't have a probe therm yet, get one. They're a indispensible (sp?).

As I recollect, about 3 hrs.

BTW...I still prefer my Polder over my Maverick.

Thanks Keith. I have a probe thermometer already, just wanted to know for dinner party scheduling sake. I can't wait to try it!

Thanks again,

Trevor

Trevor,

If not too late, start the meatloaf early and if it is done before you are ready to serve, foil it.

Wrap in foil (2 layers of heavy duty), wrap with bath towels and put in cooler. (Cooler is wrong concept here but any of the plastic chests may be used to insulate (hot or cold)) and keep it warm until ready to slice and serve. The rest is good for it (and you).

Hey, I have this going on the grill right now and i am getting a hellacious ammonia odor.

could the blue be giving that off?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean S.:
Hey, I have this going on the grill right now and i am getting a hellacious ammonia odor.

could the blue be giving that off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Are you using Kingsford?

yes, and because it had started raining it wasn't all lit and ashen when i started, so i was doing in effect a 'mini-minion' method.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean S.:
yes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sean, That's just one of the putrid smells that Kingsford gives off when burning. Should not affect your meat any.

Back