2 medium onions, unpeeled, root-end trimmed;halved
6 fresh parsley stems without leaves, or 2-3 with leaves
1 bay leaf
tiny sprig thyme (optional)
6 whole black peppercorns
4 whole white peppercorns
pinch salt
4 qt cold water

Bring all ingredients to a boil in an 8- to 10-quart pot and skim foam. Reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, skimming foam occasionally, 3-4 hours.

Remove the chicken, then pour stock through a sieve into a large bowl and discard solids. (Taste and add a pinch or two more salt but don't make it enough salt--you want to be able to reduce it further, if needed, and not have it end up too salty.) Skim fat, if desired, or cool then chill, covered, and remove any solidified fat from the top of the bowl.

The chicken can be roasted first or par-roasted first for roasted chicken stock.

The vegs can be roasted with the chicken.

The chicken and/or vegs can be browned in fat first.

Cheap chicken parts can be used exclusively or in combination with other parts--necks and wings, e.g. I use necks, wings and a few thighs and toss them with the carrots, celery, onion and a little oil, and roast in a very hot oven, adding a splash of water here and there so that the fond does not burn. I roast till I get some good color but not anywhere near done. I deglaze with a little white wine and water then dump all into a stockpot, add the parsley, peppercorns, bay, plus a small thyme sprig, and go from there.

Back