Need sausage / cured meat suggestion for gift tray

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
I'm putting together a "smoked" holiday gift platter idea. Today I purchased 10#'s of cheddar, swiss, and pepper jack. Have 5#'s of almonds.

I'm looking for an idea for a meat item I could make / smoke to add to the plate. I know I may have waited too late for some of the options, but thinking there may be a few I could still do over the next couple of weeks.

I've made andouille from scratch, but not any "cured" meats.

Thoughts / ideas / suggestions ?

I have a ProQ cold smoke generator, a Little Chief Smoker, and my WSM to work with.

Andouille is often cured, especially the commercial andouille. It's ust not dry-cured (whixh is something you need the right setup and enough time - often weeks - to do right). Andouille, or the like, what I would do were I you.

You could cure a turkey breast, wrap it in bacon and smoke it. Slice thin. Does not take too long, and the taste is great.

Geir - sounds interesting. What's involved to "cure" a turkey breast? Do you mean "brine"?

That would be a nice addition. I was hoping for a sausage of some type. Just thinking of something like a traditional cheese & meat tray.

Thanks.

Sorry, i was at work and was trying to write a quick comment.
I really ment a dry brine, and a short cure, yes. The brine- part is the most important part.

I do this from time to time, and slice the breast as thin as I can manage, and use it cold on sandwiches.

Based on my test run last week, I'm doing bacon for presents. It's ridiculously easy and so much better than anyone would imagine that's only had commercial stuff. You just need to find a source for Morton Tender Quick and pork bellies and the hard part is over.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's ridiculously easy and so much better than anyone would imagine that's only had commercial stuff.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! people don't need to know this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may have let the cat out of the bag on here, but everyone I make it for will think it took hundreds of hours and a Herculean effort.

Looks like I'll do a cold smoked salmon to pair with the cheeses and almonds. I will certainly try some of the suggestions provided and prepare a bit earlier next time.

Thanks.

Back