Weber Q Cast Iron Grid on 22" Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Freiberger

TVWBB All-Star
I'm about to cook up some steaks on my Weber OTG and thought cast iron might give me better grill marks. So I took the coated cast iron grate from my Weber Q to see if it would fit. It seems to fit very nicely as the picture below indicates.

I'll let you know how the steaks turn out.

Bill

Bill

Good work, never thought about that. I have a spare Q grill, I will give it a go next time. Did you do direct or indirect or combination?

Regards

Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
So I took the coated cast iron grate from my Weber Q to see if it would fit. It seems to fit very nicely as the picture below indicates.

Bill

That solution provides more grilling space than my Weber cast iron grate insert. Nice.

Jeff

I did a combination. Starting indirect and then searing the outside with cross hatched grill marks. They came out really well. I don't have pictures because everyone was too hungry and didn't want to wait for pictures.

But the Weber Q grate fits perfectly. And it has a nice surface area.

As for my email address, it's my last name at aol.com.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I couldn't find a description of the Weber Q 200 grate on the Weber site but did find it here:
http://www.grillparts.com/webe...asp?product_id=41878
Weber Q200, Q220 Cast Iron Cooking Grate
Cast iron cooking grate for Weber Q200 and Q220. (Does not fit the Q300). Dimensions at widest points are 15-1/4" front to back and 21-1/4" side to side. Heavy cast iron construction.
Weber quoted me $27.60. And if it's still free shipping till Father's Day, that's a DEAL for a cast iron grate!!!

Originally posted by Bill Pearson:
Is it to small to fit directly on the tabs that hold up the wire grate?
No, it will not fit on the 4 tabs. It will fit on 2 opposing tabs but obviously it will fall off.

I'm a "coal on one side" kind of guy so I'm thinking I may modify the Weber Q grate when it get's here (ordered it yesterday) to something like in the attached photo so it fits all the way to one side of the grill. It would then fit on three of the four tabs but then you won't have a place to put food over an indirect heat source.
Weber_Q_grate3.jpg

As you can see from the above picture, I put it on top of the regular cooking grate. What you can't really see in the picture is that the coals are under only one half of the grate to allow for searing and indirect cooking.

Bill

Here is Bill Freiberger's grill that I took the liberty to edit and show the possible modification I will make to the Weber Q 200 cast iron grate when it arrives to fit on one side of the 22-1/2" kettle grill. I may even cut 5" off the narrow side of the grate to give me half direct heat and half indirect heat.
WeberQgrate4.jpg

WeberQgrate5.jpg

Originally posted by george curtis:
robert, why not just cut it to the curve of the kettle ? i will just put the coals under the grate in the middle as needed.
I'm thinking the individual cast iron "rods" need support. They may get broken off with the ends standing out by their lonesome.

duh, makes sense.

Originally posted by Robert Black:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
robert, why not just cut it to the curve of the kettle ? i will just put the coals under the grate in the middle as needed.
I'm thinking the individual cast iron "rods" need support. They may get broken off with the ends standing out by their lonesome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate to through a wrench into gears of everyone who has been reading this thread and doing this but we will have to STOP!

I just bought my first Weber grill about a week ago. Did a search for "Weber", found and joined this discussion board. When reading some old threads I found this one that Bill Freiberger had started. Bill did not identity which Weber Q model grill grate he used so I email Weber and sent them the picture and ask them to identify it for me so I could order one.

Here is their email response:

The Weber Q grate shown in the picture is not raw cast-iron, it is porcelain coated cast-iron. I cannot recommend using the grate and cannot release information for the intention of using this grate in a Weber charcoal grill.

Thanks Bill! I'm sure "we" appreciate your idea but you should have conferred with Weber before doing this. There is no telling what could happen. Those of us that try this could be maimed or killed! Do you realize you could be sued for recommending using the Weber Q grate on a Weber kettle grill? Shame on you. I'm going to recommend that you return all your Weber grill products to Weber and not be allowed to own another grill for the rest of your life. You are now confined to the kitchen microwave oven when cooking!
icon_wink.gif

PS: Bill, I just got off the phone with Weber to cancel my order for the Weber Q grate and was told it has all ready been shipped. I'm sending you the bill Bill!
icon_biggrin.gif

As the grate is porcelain coated cast-iron, I wouldn't recommend cutting it. I found it fits nicely on top of the existing grate and used it that way a couple of times as an experiment.

It's not uncommon for customer service to tell you to only use their product the way they intended. There are liability reasons for this. Sometimes they're right, other times they're being overly cautious. For example, most manufacturers will tell you to only use their own brand accessory parts when, in reality, any manufacturer's accessory parts will do (for example, the hose that lets you hook up the Weber Q to a 20lb tank).

I suspect if you were to ask Weber if it's okay to use a flower pot base or a Brinkmann charcoal pan in the WSM you'd get a similar response. I know they would tell you not to drill a thermometer hole in a Weber Grill.

So experiment at your own risk.

Bill

Funny cause the Weber CS people suggested this technique to me about a yr ago. I use the cast iron grate on my 18.5 charcoal kettle and on my Summit S-450. It makes a huge difference in flavor. You can buy the grates for about $20 dollars.

Originally posted by Dave H:
Funny cause the Weber CS people suggested this technique to me about a yr ago. I use the cast iron grate on my 18.5 charcoal kettle and on my Summit S-450. It makes a huge difference in flavor. You can buy the grates for about $20 dollars.

Really? I thought I invented it. Oh well.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back