Watermelon Refresher

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
I was looking through a couple of cookbooks my wife has picked up over the years. This comes from pilsbury classic cookbooks. Titled Picnics Grilling & Camping.

I stumbled on to what sounded like a nice tasty treat for some summer BBQ thirst. I can't wait to try it. Probobly be 2 months before you can buy good melons.

5-6 cups seeded watermelon cubes
1 (6oz) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 (6oz) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
4 1/2 cups water
1 Lemon or Orange sliced

place half of watermelon cubes in food processer until smooth. Pour into 3 quart nonmetal container. Repeat with remaining watermelon. Add juice concentrates and water, stir. Cover, refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Stir before serving. Serve over ice. Garnish with lemon or orange slice.

I showed the recipe to my wife and she said that sounded good to use with that coconut rum. MMMMMMMMMMMMM
icon_biggrin.gif

I was at sams and they had seedless watermelons. Well I had to try it out.

All I can say is wow. Delicious! It is excellent by itselfbut a little of coconut flavored rum goes well with it.

It is going to be a regular around here this summer.

Cool. Sounds great. I was thinking it might make a good sorbet too.

I hauled a load of seedless watermelons to Tipp City last year. Very rare I haul produce but the other load I'd booked canceled so...

Hey Jeff

Thanks for the recipe.I showed it to the wife
and it has just been added to our smoke day menu.

Keep it smoky
JEFF

I was looking through the book and on another page they have another watermelon drink. This one calls for vodka. All I can say is wow. This one is definately for the summer.

This is from the same book as the one above.

It is called Melonade Slush.
4 cups seeded watermelon (About 2.5 cups when pureed)
1 12 oz can of pink lemonade concentrate slightly thawed
1 6oz can frozen limeade slightly thawed.
.5 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root.
1 cup vodka
2 1 liter bottles of club soda.

Process watermelon in blender until smooth. Pour puree into nonmetal freezer container. Add lemonade and limeade then stir. Add ginger root and vodka then mix well. Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours. stiring once or twice.

It says remove from freezer 5-10 minutes before serving. I pulled it from the freezer and spooned it out right away and put back for safe keeping.
icon_wink.gif
Anyhow Mix the slush mix from freezer with club soda. 50-50 directions say 4oz slush with 4oz club soda. I just like to use a glass bigger than 8oz.
icon_biggrin.gif

This is better than the other one as far as alcohol goes. I also think coconut rum would be better than vodka in this one. I just don't have any more to try. Definately if you want to mix a little alcohol use this recipe. The first one is not bad but this one is much better for drinks.

Well enjoy.

I think it is getting to that time to bump this up, 2 good recipes for one of my favorite summertime fruit.

There are really a lot of good drink recipes here to try.

Can't wait for watermelon season!
I muddle watermelon chunks w/mint, a splash of simple syrup in a cocktail shaker, and a shot of bourbon then strain into a tall glass of ice, top with a splash of seltzer water and garnish a mint sprig

Back