Pulled Pork Sauce & Serving Techniques

Doug Parizo

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

Below I've copied the recipe for Eastern NC-style finishing sauce for pulled pork that Chris pointed us to. This weekend I made up a batch and it was EXCELLENT -- I'm tempted now to try it on other stuff, too.

Anyway, I noticed that when folks used the sauce that it ran over and past the pulled pork and soaked their roll -- it has the consistency of vinegar (no suprise) and so it flows like water. Which brings me to my question:

Any tips on serving up the pulled pork sandwiches to avoid this problem, and any other serving tips in general? I'd never seen an authentic pulled pork sandwich before I made 'em this weekend /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif , so I really know nothing.

After 17 hours of prep, definitely want to make sure I don't goof it up in the final 10 minutes before serving! Thanks!

--------------
Originally posted by Richard Johnson in the Beginner's Forum on 9/25/03

--------------

For Eastern NC-style pulled pork, I use the
following finishing sauce:

1 Cup white vinegar
1 Cup cider vinegar
1 Tbs turbinado sugar
1 Tbs red pepper flakes
1 Tbs Tabasco
1 tsp kosher salt
cracked pepper to taste (maybe 1/2 tsp)

You could probably get by with something even simpler, with just vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes. That's the direction I'm heading in.

-Richard

Three ways to do it, Doug (well, I'm sure there are more, but three that I can think of right now). None are more right than the others, and there is no single way to eat/present your pulled pork!

1. You can mix up your pork with the sauce before you put it on the roll (restaurants often do it this way).

2. You can put that sauce in a dish and dip your sandwich in it. (I always ask for the sauce on the side when I order my parmigiana -- keeps the roll from getting soggy. Same thing works for pulled pork.)

3. You can thicken up the sauce with ketchup or tomato paste. Obviously, this will change the flavor some.

Good luck!

Back