Wrapping smoked bacon slabs for freezing

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
As I've been curing and smoking baccon (pork belly) slabs for over a year, I store the extras in the freezer. The slab is first wrapped in saran wrap or some other cellophane, followed by wrapping in newspaper and then the finish wrap is freezer wrap with the wax side facing the contents. Being stored for up to 3-4 months maximum, I have noticed absolutely no deterioration in flavor AND no rancidity contrary to what's stated on the 'net.

C&C appreciated.

Best,
-T

Well put em in a "thick" freezing bag and suck the air out with your mouth. And i bet you get the same resaults over a 4-6 month period.

Belive me when i say food can be frozen for a long time if done right.

And i guess your setup could go for another 2 month without any taste diff.
icon_smile.gif

IMO, you can’t beat a vacu-sealer for freezer storage. I haven’t had to freeze any bacon yet though, it never last long enough to need it.
No matter what method you use (freezer bags, butchers paper, vacu-seal, etc), having the meat as cold as possible, and not overloading the freezer with unfrozen meat, when you place it in the freezer will give you the best results. The faster the meat freezes the smaller the ice crystals and the less tissue damage you’ll see when thawed. I freeze a lot of fresh salmon fillets and I’ll go as far as using a cooler w/several frozen water bottles and water to get the packs as close to freezing temps as I can before I add large amounts to my freezer.

I'm completely with you, Todd, for the reasons you state.

Additionally (and especially for more loosely structured, delicate flesh like that of fish), it's worth, one frozen, burying the item as best you can under other frozen items. his protects the more delicate item from surface thawing when the frost-free cycle kicks on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
protects the more delicate item from surface thawing when the frost-free cycle kicks on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly why my "storage" freezer in the garage is not a frost-free model. Bit of additional work every year to defrost/clean it but worth it in my opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd H:
IMO, you can’t beat a vacu-sealer for freezer storage. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there a review available of the most popular vacuum sealers costing less than $500 USD?

Back