Hamburger Buns

Steven Simpkins

TVWBB Member
I was thinking about making my own hamburger buns. Has anyone here made their own hamburger buns and is it worth the effort? Was thinking of making some pretzel buns. Would it be worth buying a bread making machine?

Steve

I make my own hamburger and hot dog buns. I use the King Arthur flour recipes and I bought the hamburger and hot dog pans. I always use the bread maker to prepare the dough. It is so easy. Put the ingredients in the bread maker and after an hour and forty minutes, the dough is mixed and has finished the first rise, No mess.

I did this because I think the final product is better than the ones you buy commercially.....tom

I'm guessing that these are the recipe Tom is referring to and they are fantastic. One of the things I like about making my own is that I control the size of the bun for my application.
Bread machines (for mixing/kneading only!) are nice from what I hear, but a stand-mixer or a food processor is much more versatile.

Steve me and Emilie often make the buns. But before investing in a machine try out by hand a few times. If you like it think about get a machine to let the baking go smoother.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom O:
.... I use the King Arthur flour recipes and I bought the hamburger and hot dog pans. ...I did this because I think the final product is better than the ones you buy commercially.....tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be carefully if you check the King Arthur website, they got so many mouth-watering recipes for baked goods I'll sure you'll gain 10 pounds just from browsing. Love that company's website.

I have. I have been using a bread machine to knead the dough for about a decade. I don't think buns were worth it; that is the trigger for a good bread machine.

You can get some good buns at the store. With a bit of butter, splash of onion powder and pan fried until a light gold color will make magic out of most good store buns. The one's you make fresh are better.

If you want the whole package, everything a good bread machine can do, go for it. If you only want buns, I would put it off.

Back