Capturing drippings on 2 birds

John Lantern

TVWBB Member
So I'm considering doing 2 birds this weekend as part of a "friend" thanksgiving. If I use each rack to hold 1 bird, what's the best way to capture drippings? Let everything collect in the empty foiled pan? Rig up a disposable aluminum roaster under the top grate? Have them each sit in a disposable aluminum roaster?

I did one this weekend with the JD/Maple brine and it came out super moist but not tons of JD or maple flavor. Great color and smoke though, which I'm wondering if I'd lose if I had multiple roasters in there.

I know Larry has linked to a 2 bird thread, but for some reason, I get an error every time that I try to click on the link.

I'd like to see answers on this too.

I plan on cooking two birds Thanksgiving morning. Was going to do both in my 22.5 WSM but then I started to worry about the drippings from the top bird affecting the outcome of the skin on the bottom bird.

Should I cook the top bird in a pan? Seems that might make for soggy skin.

I'd just run two cookers, but I got big birds- both 21 pounds- and I'm scared it won't fit in my 18 inch WSM.

Thoughts?

I read somewhere to put a couple/few rolled up aluminum foil balls in dry water pan and then put HD foil on top/wrapped around the pan. This way the drippings won't get burnt on the hot ash pan by not having direct contact with it.

I would probably cook both w/ no pan and wouldn't worry too much about bottom one getting soggy from the one on the top. High enough heat and would cook off.

Back