Setting up Stoker on a WRT54GS

Jim Bloomfield

TVWBB Super Fan
I am setting up my stoker with a linksys router WRT54GS.I can access from within the network. What I wnt to do is be able to access from the internet on a smart phone.In port forwarding I set the stoker to start and end on 80 with a ip address that ends with 153. I set it up in the DMZ to enable that address.What are the next steps?

Your router has a number (IP) that connects it to the rest of the internet. You need to know that in order to "talk" to your stoker.

You can see the IP of your router by logging into your router and clicking on the status tab. If you see a number like 33.52.442.33 and not 192.168.xxx.xxx you should be able to use that ip in your browser. As long as you don't power off your router the IP should not change.

If you get a 192.xxx.xxx.xx for your ip, this means that your ISP is using a secondary router to connect you to the internet. In this case, I don't think you will be able to connect to your router.

Jim, I would just add that most Internet Service Providers supply dynamic IP addresses by default... they periodically change the IP address for each of their subscribers. Maybe once a week or more frequently if the network goes down (or the modem/router is power cycled). Just be aware that the router's IP address might change between cooks unless you get your ISP to provide a static IP address. ISPs usually charge more for a static IP though.

There are free service providers (DynDNS for one) that can supply you with a URL that points to a dynamic IP address and it gets updated when your IP changes. If you don't go this DynDNS route, you need to know the external IP address that Russell refers to in order to see the Stoker from the internet.

Went to DynDNS paid for a seperate web address etc, but still confused. Back to just trying to log into my network. I set up port forwarding for 8080 to 8080 the same in port triggering. Now when I try and log in from another computer it does but it brings up my router settings program not the stoker.Real green at this,Could use some help. I am willing to give access to someone who could help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Bloomfield:
Went to DynDNS paid for a seperate web address etc, but still confused. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to pay for a Dynamic Host Name:
http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Jim, were you able to configure your set up? I had issues too. I can now access it via my Blackberry, or any internet connection, as well as my own network.

Rick

Jim,

Read the post on "unable to load bbq* files into Stokerlog " you are probably have the same issues as Rick. There is help at the bottom of that post.

Keep just logging on to my router
Anyone in the know has a moment to check out my settings
Thanks to Rick for helping out with this

Jim,

I tried to access your http you sent and it takes me to your router login page. Your on the right path. As I wrote to another individual, follow Ken's suggestion and re-enable your Stoker's DHCP.
1) On the Stoker, press the select button to display the IP address.
2)Enter 255 as the first set of digits and leave the rest as they appear.
3)Press the "Sel" button 3 more times to advance to the end of the address box and then press "Sel" one more time to save entry.

Now when you enter your http://**.**.***.***/8080 IP it should go to the Stoker. Try it and see what happens.

Jim, you may want to change the port range to show 80 to 80 as this is the default. As far as DMZ is concerned you can disable it as that is how mine is set.
So your Stoker reads IP as 192.168.1.113. Now follow directions I just posted using the Stoker's buttons NOT your computer.
Rick

Tried what you have here reset the DHCP I think and changed the IP address using the Stoker. But I still log into my router.

Jim, I just logged into your Stoker. Try accessing it with your IP address only, without the 8080. Now that you are in you may want to change your password on your router, you never know who is out there.

Enjoy,
Rick

Your welcome. I know how frustrating it can be sometimes. Thanks to Ken Brown as well, who assisted me in discovering my problem.

Also, if you haven't discovered Amir's Stoker Log program you might care to check it out as well. You can monitor your cook and have updates/graphs sent right to your Blackberry or other. Pretty cool.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Bloomfield:
Thank you many times over. If ever I can help you let me know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right about the Stoker log program. I use it and the Stoker Timers program. The Timers program has the best email module for me.Being I started with and still also uses the BBQ Guru , I like that the Stoker timers has the Ramp Events that I can set any way I want.The Stoker Log with its lid detection Graphs and logging makes it a complete package.Without the software and the ability now to access that software away from the house . I would have just stayed with the Guru setup.

Thanks Again to all who make this site the resource it is.A Special Thanks to Chris for having this site for all us Smokers.

Jim,
Am I right that the StokerLog program can be accessed, and parameters changed, via BBerry or internet? If so, could you instruct me? I wasn't aware, and I have tinkered with it a bit but no luck. I guess I don't understand how one can access it and make changes to the temps and so forth. I do get the emailed graph updates during the cook but that is it. I am only aware of changing the temps via Stoker interface.

Any help that you or anybody else can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Rick

Back