Is my bag of charcoal still good?

Joe Man.

Hello All,

My wife got me a WSM two years ago for my birthday and I went out and got a bag a Kingsford charcoal and a bag each of oak, apple, and cherry wood chunks. Well.....I never used it because there was always SOMETHING else that HAD to be done. So everything has been sitting in the basement for two years.

In a couple of weeks, I plan on doing my first smoke. So I think the wood is fine since there is nothing growing on it and looks the same as it did when I bought it but what about the Kingsford? Would the moisture in the basement destroy the charcoal or should it still be good?

Thanks,
Joe

I'd do one chimney of it and see how it reacts. If it don't cooperate then make sure to have have a new bag on hand. Are you saying that you haven't even used a charcoal grill in 2yrs?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BradP "p-nut":
...you haven't...used a charcoal grill in 2yrs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_eek.gif
I'D BE DEAD!!!
icon_eek.gif

If briqs get wet and falls apart ... it is toast. I "forgot" a bag of Lazzari lump in the bed of my truck and it got rained on. Let it dry out and used it. No bad effects.

joe

Boss,there's no time like the present! Go ahead and grab another bag and smoke something! There is always time to do the regular stuff. The WSM is a great stress remover. And makes great grub too!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BradP "p-nut":
I'd do one chimney of it and see how it reacts. If it don't cooperate then make sure to have have a new bag on hand. Are you saying that you haven't even used a charcoal grill in 2yrs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. Every year after the winter has passed I kept saying to myself "This year I'm finally using my WSM!" Then I remodeled my bathroom and built new front stairs to my house, paint the outside, etc., etc, etc, so I never got around to it. I also have a Tel-Tru thermometer to put in the lid that I haven't gotten to yet. I have to do that first.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Boss,there's no time like the present! Go ahead and grab another bag and smoke something! There is always time to do the regular stuff. The WSM is a great stress remover. And makes great grub too!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!

My wife and I are doing yet more projects to get our house ready to put it up for sale. Once these projects are done I'm getting myself some BB Ribs and trying the BRITU recipe. It will probably be at the end of March and by then the weather should have warmed up enough too.

The WSM is so "set it and forget it" that I start the meat while i'm doing projects and by supper time when we're tired and hungry we will have a good meal to eat.

Jim, LMAO
icon_biggrin.gif
. I stored all my rancher down in my basement at my old house. I kept it off the floor so it wouldn't absorb any moisture that way. Should be fine.All my bags seemed to cook real fine except the last one .
icon_wink.gif
Darn, I miss that stuff
icon_frown.gif

Back