22 WSM handles and Tel tru

Jim Bloomfield

TVWBB Super Fan
I added these handles made by stanley and a tel tru therm.
22handles.jpg

22teltru.jpg

2.5 The 4 may be a better read because is it closer to the rack. I just get to know the difference in the lid and grate.The Weber one work well or was way off. A couple cooks within 25 degrees other cooks off close to 100

As best I can tell the difference between the grate and weber's thermo is approx. 14-16 degrees.

At the start of the cook it was more in the 20-25 range but seemed to settle in around the 14-16 range.

Jim,

YOu mentioned the weber thermo being off.

I thought it was just me and kept scratching my head because mine did the same.

In fact I put a 2nd digi therm on the grate to verify what I was looking at. The grate temps were much higher than the weber lid thermo temp.

I wonder if that is due to the moisture buildup in there?

Jeff I would be OK if the thermo being 10 20 30 degrees different lid vs grate. My problem was on some cooks it was lets say 20 different and other cooks 75 or more different. Was not consistant. I had the Tel Tru so I put it in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had the Tel Tru so I put it in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Which Tel Tru is that? How wide is the face? And how long is the stem? I like the way you left the grommet on...

I'm not Jim, but I have the same tel tru and will also be mounting it on the 22".

It is model BBQ-300-BRZ- 2.5 or 4. The end of the part number corresponds to whether you have a 2.5" or 4" stem. I have the 4" version and plan to mount it just as Jim did. Jim mentions upthread that he has the 2.5" version.

The face is 3" wide. You can buy them here. I've purchased from them in the past - good prices, fast shipping.

I think you will find that it varies, unfortunately. In the beginning of a cook, it's not uncommon to read lower than the grate. I don't know if the meat is a heat sink or what, but it tends to read lower. In time it will settle in and be pretty close, maybe 10-15 degrees hotter than the top rack. I monitor my stoker cooks at the grate level, but the tel-tru is there when I don't use it, or in case the stoker fails.

Check out the experiments Chris ran. This should give you a good idea.
Link

Oh just one other question. If you used a 2.5" stem but still kept the grommet on how much of the stem actually makes it into the cooker? I want to do the same thing you did, but I am debating between the 4" and the 2.5".

The Tel tru mounts the same. You have to open the hole on the Weber therm grommet and do a little grinding for a nice fit. The grommet has a extra hole to stop rotation. So keeping in place covers that hole.
I have posted more photos of the mods on my Performer 22 Smoker. I did lower the kettle 4 inches.With the kettle lower 4 iches the rotis ring still fits and the spit clears. can still be used as a kettle with just the lid also.The door for the smoker does open with the kettle lower 4 inches. This is possible because of the way the door pivots when it opens.
Smoker

Jim,

Love your set up, you really enjoy BBQing.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Didn't the 22" WSM come with a temp gauge installed on the lid?

Back