Smokey Joe Platinum Problem

Rich Langer

TVWBB Guru
I bought an SJP which is 18" diameter and I bought an 18" hinged grill. The hinged grill is about 1/2" smaller in diameter than the regular grill and so it does not fit well in the SJP.

Anyone else have this problem?

Yep, I tried the same thing & ended up returning the hinged grate. If I recall correctly, the SJP has a true 18" diameter cooking grate, but the 1-touch & even the WSM are 18" grills, meaning they measured the outside diameter of the bowl so the cooking grate is less. I could never figure out why Weber would produce products labeled so close but unable to share those parts, but apparently they did.

I'm still sad to see Weber has discontinued the SJP (it's no longer listed on their web site). In spite of the cooking grate diameter difference & airflow problems, it's still my favorite grill to take on the road.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Williams:
In spite of the cooking grate diameter difference & airflow problems, it's still my favorite grill to take on the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep i noticed the same problem. But as far as the airflow problem go get yourself a Uni-Bit and take care of said airflow problem. Link here just incase you didn't see it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back