Temperature and Time in Competition Cooking

Brian Silvey

TVWBB Member
There is this thread in the main bbq section about the different temps of the upper and lower rack in the WSM. Kruger and others say it doesn't matter. Does that hold true for competition cooking? I have only done one competition and it seemed relevant as you have to have your meat ready at a specific time. Do you take the difference in temp into account when deciding what goes where and when it goes on?

Thanks,
Brian

You can set a range of time based on past experience and cook temp. But it will not be exact. As they say... It's done when it's done. I have had pork butts of the exact same weight that were done 2 hours apart before. Set up your schedule based on average cook times but leave yourself room for error.

If its done early you foil it and put it in the Cambro (or cooler) until it's time for turn in. You can safely hold most Q for quite some time this way. You want to allow your brisket and butts to rest for a while anyway.

I've only done Backyard Competitions so far, but doing my first pro comp in March. Based on the temp difference between the top and bottom grates, my plan is to put what I'm cooking on the bottom rack about 1hr before what I'm putting on the top. That is about the time difference I had last week when I cooked 2 butts (1 on top and other on bottom). Lately I've been cookin my butts at 230, so I put them on about 11:30ish. My goal is to get all the big meats (briskets and/or butts) off by 9:45ish. This allows for any issues or if the meat needs a little more time than expected.

Last comp we did, our pork was done about 1 1/2hr before turn. We foiled and put in our cooler. It was good enough to take 2nd out of 57.

Originally posted by Peter Matijevich:
Last comp we did, our pork was done about 1 1/2hr before turn. We foiled and put in our cooler. It was good enough to take 2nd out of 57.

I believe this is what is called a thinly veiled brag
icon_smile.gif
Nicely done. I have heard about foiling and storing in a cooler, didn't realize it was regularly done for competition. Good to know.

Thanks,
Brian

I always build in a couple hours cushion, if it's done early I hold it in a cooler and if not, I don't have to stress because I usually have enough time. I know there are a few degrees difference between the grates and that can vary from cooker to cooker. In my experience, it hasn't really mattered much. I'm aware of it and usually use the bottom grate for brisket or shoulder and the top for ribs and chicken. This is for 2 reasons 1) bigger meat so it can handle the higher heat with a bigger margin for error and 2) ribs and chicken take less time and require more attention so it's easier access. I know a lot of guys disagree but I really don't think temps differences of 20 degrees or so make a big difference nor do I think a temp swing in the 20 or so degree range matters. Once you get a few comps under your belt, it will seem way less intimidating. It took me a couple years to really stop worrying about the temps as anything more than a general guide. I used to really try to keep it all exact and that led to way more stress and usually the end product quality suffered. Just my opinion of course. If anyone is still reading, sorry for writing an book here!

I'm with John.

The differences between the upper and lower racks are so small (if they exist at all) as to not even be worth worrying about. It's the same thing about making sure that your cooker is 225 +/- 0.0000001 degrees. It's just not that important. Those also go along with the pork over beef/beef over pork arguments. Who cares? It's just not important.

For comps, I put the meat in with a very rough time estimate so that I've got about 2 hours of 'resting time' built in. If the cooking time runs a little long then I've got cushion to lean against. If not then I'll just pull it, wrap it, and put it in the hot box.

I always get a chuckle when I see a team stressing out big time about their meat finishing an hour before turn in.

Russ

icon_smile.gif
Nicely done. I have heard about foiling and storing in a cooler, didn't realize it was regularly done for competition. Good to know.

Thanks,
Brian[/QUOTE]

I can see how it looks like bragging but I was actually answering your question of what happens if it is done an hour or so early. Just trying to show that even if done early that you can still place.

I would rather have shoulder & brisket done early so I can hold it in a cooler for a while before placing in the turn in box. Juices redistribute throughout the meat while resting and that will give you a more consistent final product.

Originally posted by Peter Matijevich:
icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Brian

I can see how it looks like bragging but I was actually answering your question of what happens if it is done an hour or so early. Just trying to show that even if done early that you can still place.

And thanks for that Peter. I never really thought you were bragging. Saying "thinly veiled brag" is just a way of congratulating you on a nice cook.

Brian

No issues with holding Brisket, actually works in your favor in most cases. Would not hold chicken or ribs, and if your comp has butt, you can hold it also. The cambro is one of the best investments a comp cooker can make, well worth the expense they carry.

I actually remember a certain competitor asking me at a comp., "so Dann, ever rest a brisket for 7 hours?" To which I answered no.

He told me, "I'll let you know how it turns out"

When he walked by on the way to turn-in, he said " DAL walking" It was so overcooked, he could barely slice it.

He took 2nd place!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back