MasterCook Software.

So is it ready to dive in and use yet? or not?

I was reading that it was still too buggy with the latest version release. Anyone got any more info on that? (Last thing I need is more twitchy software in my life right now...)

Thank you.

Scott, not so. That sounds like something a competitor would say. Actually, Version 9 fixed a few bugs which never affected a lot of folks in the first place.

For the best and most informative information, join this Yahoo Group, which is the MASTERCOOK HELP SITE and ask the same question as above and more for a much more informed and detailed answer than I can give you. Don't worry, and ask all the questions you like...they are not easily offended and the answers are usually pretty speedy (Sundays might be a little slower). I've read many questions from people who were considering buying the software. I have great respect for Pam and others who are as knowledgeable as anyone could be. And patient too.

Be sure to mention which operating system you are using. They have figured out how to use MasterCook successfully with Vista.

Rita

I have used Mastercook for a decade or so. It works. The problem is that it is abandoned software. Valuesoft, the current owner, has ceased development. What is out there works and works well.

More and more, however, I am posting recipes to a wiki so it is available to me anywhere. That seems to fit how I approach much of my data.

Mastercook does work better for me than everything else I have used. As for software, it is inexpensive too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
what is a wiki and how does it work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>A wiki is a series of web pages that are generally used for a specific topic. They are designed that others can modify their content. You have been to Wikipedia previously? That is a wiki.

Wikis are set up for all sorts of things. I run a few for various sites I maintain. The wiki I use for my recipes are mounted on a private server for my family. We post recipes to share with each other.

Permissions on wikis can be set up to allow anyone to make changes, only registered users, only a specific group, etc.

Wikis also have a change log associated with them so one can review each change made to a page.

Bob, thanks for responding. That is very interesting and could be very helpful with my cooking when I'm out of town. I'll have to look into this further.

On the other hand, I can access my computer at home (providing that it is turned on) from a computer out of town. Not too convenient, tho, to call home to ask my husband to turn on my computer.

Rita

Been using MC V 8.0 for several years now with no bugs or issues ever. It runs rock solid. I love it.
icon_wink.gif

I also asked about MasterCook in another post and decided to pick it up. Brian S and Rita gave it the thumbs up and it was relatively cheap. So far works great. A bit laborious entering all the recipes from the numerous binders of recipes we have in the kitchen. I can really see the benefit once its all dialed in though.

I'm still on my MC 7 and haven't found the need to upgrade. I use it for client shopping lists and it's where I store all my recipes. I don't really use it for my personal meal planning, and have used the program for its capacities which I seem to only use minimally.

Back