Grilled vs. Smoked Asparagus

Mark R (LR)

TVWBB Super Fan
I've grilled asparagus (olive oil, lemon pepper, wrapped in bacon) a few times before while grilling steaks and like them prepared that way. I'm having friends over for a mountain stage of the Tour de France this weekend and am smoking an assortment of things. I'm thinking about trying to smoke some bacon-wrapped asparagus as an experiment. Have any of you tried this? What kind of result? Would you recommend smoked or grilled? I'll probably end up grilling some AND smoking some to experiment, but I'd love to hear if others have had any success smoking asparagus to help me decide how many (or few) to try on the smoker. Thanks!

My thought is that the asparagus would get soggy smoking them because the bacon needs time to render out the fat? And with asparagus you need to grill them relatively quick... IMO.

Let us know how they turn out because I am interested!

Thanks Tom! That makes sense. I'll still give it a try but will probably put more on the grill and fewer on the smoker as an experiment. I'll report on the results.

Tom was right. The aparagus got way too soggy in the smoker. Grilling them quickly at high heat is definitely a better approach.

I place a couple strips of bacon down in foil, lay the asparagus on top, add mince garlic and pepper, wrap up the foil and put that in indirect heat for 15 minutes, flip the foil, 10-15 more minutes and it's yummy time.

I think I may try to wrap the asparagus and test them out.

Back