New 22" WSM

Harry Williams

Hi Fellow Smokers

I received my new 22" two days ago, and have it all assembled. I am getting ready to fire it up and do a couple of butts.
My question is this. Do I have to do anything different than I do with the 18". I use the minion method with the 18"? I have had good luck following the instructions on the bullet web site for butts, and have had excellent results. Do I just do the same with the larger unit?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Harry

the 22 operates the same way as the 18. its just a bit bigger. just scale up your technique a bit if your using a heatsink like water or sand.

Originally posted by harry williams:
My question is this. Do I have to do anything different than I do with the 18". I use the minion method with the 18"? I have had good luck following the instructions on the bullet web site for butts, and have had excellent results. Do I just do the same with the larger unit?
Think of it as like riding a bike. You went from a smaller bike to a bigger bike.
icon_biggrin.gif
Everything still works the same, it's just bigger. Of course you'll have to figure out what the bigger bike likes verses the smaller bike.
icon_wink.gif
And congrats on the Big Boy Bike.
icon_cool.gif

Bryan S.

Have you used your 22 in WSM yet ?

If so how do you like it ? I'm interested in your take of the Big guy ?

Regards

Harry, my first cook on my new 22 was two pork shoulders.... I think it's a great place to start, so forgiving... My unit ran hotter than I was used to; I hear that from others a lot too, especially on first few cooks. I actually had all 3 lower vents closed and temp was still 300*. I finally closed the top about 30% until I got it back down to 250*.... Once I did the temp was very steady throughout the long cook... I LOVE MINE....
good luck on your cook..
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Ralph:

See my post in the barbacuing forum as to the first cook on the new 22.5 WSM. This was the easiest cmoke that I have ever done. The temp never got over 250 degrees, and it only got that hot due to an adjustment that I made that I did not have to make.
John, you should look at the same post. It will answer your questions about this new cooker. This is the easiest smoker I have used, and if you look at my signature, you will see that I have used quite a few of them.
Thanks for the questions. I always like to help if I can.

Something that I forgot to put in my post for the new WSM pertains to the temp gauge.
This gauge ran 35 degrees lower that the other gauges that I used. I used three other temp gauges that all read identical readings, and all of them were 35 degrees higher than the one supplied by Weber. All of the other gauges were long shank gauges that I installed through the top vent.
Hope this helps

Harry
I found that to with a new 2009 18.5 WSM probing with very accurate Digitherms.
I removed the webber temp gage and tested in boiling water.
It tested true so there is something else going on in there.
My guess is that the steel lid is sinking some heat from the webber gage.

after a few cooks it will start to run cooler once the wsm builds up a bit of a grease layer.

dont get too wrapped up in the therm thing. a steady temp is far more important than what the temp is.

Jon

My post regarding the temp gauge on the 22.5 WSM was meant only as an information guide to those who may or may not check temp gauges.
Now that I know what the accuracy of the gauge is, I just use it as a refrence. I agree that the steady temp on a long cook is the important thing.

Originally posted by harry williams:
Jon

My post regarding the temp gauge on the 22.5 WSM was meant only as an information guide to those who may or may not check temp gauges.
Now that I know what the accuracy of the gauge is, I just use it as a refrence. I agree that the steady temp on a long cook is the important thing.

no worries i dont take things personally less words are aimed specifically at me. what i say is purely my opinion. i just put it out there for others to laugh at or take serious as they choose
icon_smile.gif
i dont expect everyone to do things my way. lots of people do high heat and wrap their pans or use sand etc. **** i dont even clean my cooker. i dont expect others to do what i do heh. i just toss out my ideas and opinions and let them fall where they may.

bryan hates briqs i hate lump and we both make good bbq. nothing wrong with going different routes to reach teh same location.

only politicians think their own opinions are facts
icon_wink.gif

For new cooks on the 22" WSM:

Try using the old 18" charcoal ring. It has been my experience that, after a bit longer time to come to temp, it cooks perfectly well, thus avoiding any heat spikes you might experience with the 22" charcoal ring.

Just got my 22 put together yesterday, looking forward to taking it for a spin. Such a nice looking unit, I had to look out the window at it about a half a dozen times yesterday afternoon. Thanks everyone for posting your experiences with this unit, sure saves some time and effort.

Back