Butter Chicken

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
Not totally my recipe but a darn good one. It was based off a recipe from Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Cooking. It's an excellent book and you can get it through tvwbb amazon link here. Anyways this recipe is the velvet butter chicken.

3 Cups strained tomatoes
4 jalapenos
1 Tablespoon Ginger
10 Tablespoons Butter
4 Teaspoons Cumin
1 Tablespoon Paprika
2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
1.5 Cups Heavy Cream
2 Teaspoons Garam Marsala
1/4 Cup Cilantro

- Take the jalapenos and ginger and puree to a paste (add a little of the strained tomatoes if needed)
- Mix the jalapeno paste with the strained tomatoes
- Melt 8 Tablespoons of the butter when the foam starts to subside fry the ground cumin and paprika for a few seconds
- Add in the tomato mixture and cook for about 10 minutes
- Add the salt and the cream and simmer for about 10 minutes (stir from time to time and make sure it doesn't burn)
- Stir in the garam marsala and the rest of the butter, remove from heat and let sit covered for half an hour
- Stir in the cilantro

I used chicken thighs that I grilled and pulled from the bone, discarding the skins. You could definately leave them whole. I added the chicken at the same time as the cilantro since it was allready cooked. I served over rice with naan bread. I also added sauteed zuchinni, mushrooms, onions, and juliened orange peppers when we reheated for left overs. It was better with all the vegetables!

SNB17172.jpg

SNB17266.jpg

Clark

Thanks Clark. I have another recipe hat is a bit more complicated. Looking forward to trying yours.

Ray

Ray, combined this recipe with another one I found on the internet today. It was awesome!!! Put in fenugreek,ginger-garlic paste.If anyone is interested I'll post the recipe.

Paul and Clark,

Made this last night and it was awesome. Like Paul, I added a few spices that are in my original recipe (fenugreek, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon). Served it with grilled chicken breasts and jasmine rice. Yummy!

Thanks,

Ray

Recipe Ingredients:
1T- peanut oil
1-shallot ,finely chopped
1/4- white onion chopped
2T-butter
2tsp- lemon juice
1T ginger-garlic paste(can make your own if you choose)
1tsp- garam marsale
1tsp-chile powder
1tsp-ground cumin
1-bay leaf
1tsp-ground coriander
1/4 tsp- ground fenugreek
1/4 cup- plain yogurt
1 cup half and half or 1/4 to 1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 cup-tomato puree
1/4 tsp- cayenne pepper or to taste
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch black pepper
1T- peanut oil(this is for cooking the chicken)
1 lb-boneless ,skinless chicken thighs,cut into bite size pieces
1-tsp-garam Marsala(for cooking chicken)
1 pinch cayenne pepper(for cooking chicken)
1/4 cup- finely ground unsalted cashews(don't worry if you can only find salted)
1/4 cup-water

DIRECTIONS:
Heat 1T of oil in large sauce pan over medium heat. Saute shallot and onion til soft and translucent. Stir in butter,lemon juice,ginger-garlic paste,1tsp garam Marsala,chili powder,cumin,fenugreek,and bay leaf.Cook,stirring,for a minute. Add tomato puree and cook for a couple of more minutes,stirring frequently,. Stir in half and half and yogurt. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes,stirring frequently. Add salt and pepper. Stir in and remove from heat and set aside.

Heat 1T of peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.Cook chicken until lightly brown. About 10 minutes. Reduce heat and add 1 tsp Garam Marsala and cayenne. Stir in a few spoonfuls of the sauce you've set aside. Stir in with chicken and cook until the sauce has reduced and the chicken is no longer pink. Take cooked chicken and put into the sauce you've set aside and stir together. Mix ground cashews with the water and stir into sauce with the chicken. Cook an additional 5-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Then enjoy!!!

Back