New WSM: In Like; Not in Love

Darrel Williams

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, I have finished my second smoke and my first 15lb bag of K-comp and I have some thoughts to share. 2010 model ("AD" stamp on the vent)

I like the WSM but I am not in love with it. Some problems that I have found......

1) Condensation on the inside of the lid thermometer.

2) The grates are small enough to fall through to the layer below. Would it have been so difficult to make those 4 side-mounted grate holders just a quarter of an inch longer?

I found this out the hard way by attempting to rotate the top rack in place to better align my 2 pork shoulders with the aluminum tray on the lower rack. At least they fell though to the lower rack, and not from the lower rack into the water bowl {or worse, into the charcoal}. But it was a royal PITA to reset everything on a hot smoker.

3) I have been able to keep the temp in the smoke range (200-275) but not keep it at a steady 250 for hours and hours. I think that a problem in that the aluminum door is flimsy and doesn't correctly match the curvature of the middle section's black body, so it doesn't quite make a tight seal.
I'll keep practicing. I think it takes some experience to know how and when to adjust the bottom vents. It also takes trust to know that the vent adjustments are right and will produce the desired effect.

Sooner or later, I predict that Weber will come out with a more expensive version that is more like the Big Steel Keg. I love the cast iron vent on that guy. It puts to shame those tiny stamped Weber vents. I also like the insulated double walled sides. But it is a lot more expensive than a WSM. Are you listening Weber?

Has anyone gotten their WSM up to a high temp like 450 or 500? I was thinking about trying bread and/or pizza.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I like the WSM but I am not in love with it. Some problems that I have found......

1) Condensation on the inside of the lid thermometer. <span class="ev_code_GREEN">.This will stop after gunk builds up and or you go to the dry foiled pan methods.</span>

2) The grates are small enough to fall through to the layer below. Would it have been so difficult to make those 4 side-mounted grate holders just a quarter of an inch longer?

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Take 1 1/4 flat washer and put behind the top strap grate brackets.</span>

I found this out the hard way by attempting to rotate the top rack in place to better align my 2 pork shoulders with the aluminum tray on the lower rack. At least they fell though to the lower rack, and not from the lower rack into the water bowl {or worse, into the charcoal}. But it was a royal PITA to reset everything on a hot smoker.

3) I have been able to keep the temp in the smoke range (200-275) but not keep it at a steady 250 for hours and hours. I think that a problem in that the aluminum door is flimsy and doesn't correctly match the curvature of the middle section's black body, so it doesn't quite make a tight seal.

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Adjust the door by massaging it into the curves.</span>

I'll keep practicing. I think it takes some experience to know how and when to adjust the bottom vents. It also takes trust to know that the vent adjustments are right and will produce the desired effect.

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Usually folks fittle with the vents to much, experience will help.</span>

Sooner or later, I predict that Weber will come out with a more expensive version that is more like the Big Steel Keg. I love the cast iron vent on that guy. It puts to shame those tiny stamped Weber vents. I also like the insulated double walled sides. But it is a lot more expensive than a WSM. Are you listening Weber?

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">But it is a lot more expensive than a WSM. Bingo!</span>

Has anyone gotten their WSM up to a high temp like 450 or 500? I was thinking about trying bread and/or pizza. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Yes you can prop the door or tilt the lid.</span>

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Good luck to ya!</span>

Darrel -

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I would agree with what Glenn says regarding this website being a great reference tool for overcoming any issues with any items on the WSM. I have not made any mods to mine and have been able to go 12 hours on a single load of K regular on a butt cook at approx. 250 deg F. I am in the Houston area so I don't have a lot of wind to deal with.

There are plenty of competition cooks that frequent this board and they are using this cooker as well. Hopefully after your next couple of cooks the WSM will seal up a bit and be easier for you to control the temps.

-Don Dukes

Hey Darrel! Ditto all the above
icon_wink.gif
... and yes experience will breed confidence ... as an example: For everything but poultry, I use water in the pan and minion start either/or both the 18WSM & 22WSM.... immediately set the lower vents to 25% open and never touch 'em again ... the built in Weber therm climbs to the 12 o'clock position and stays in that approximate position for the duration. Last Sunday I put 6 racks of St Louis spares in the Double Deucer 22WSM assembled the cooker and took my wife to the movies and a walk on the beach (happy wife; happy life!)
icon_wink.gif
When we left the cooker was less than 180*, we returned 3hrs 45mins later...smoker temp 235* ribs done perfectly
icon_razz.gif
...ya gotta love it!
icon_cool.gif
A couple more cooks and you'll feel more comfy too
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hi Darrel,

I'm not aware of a general problem with the top grate falling down onto the lower grate. There have been a few reports over the years of people receiving grates that were too small...who knows how that happens.

Anyway, check out this specs table for the correct dimensions and then measure your grate. If yours is off, call Weber at 800-446-1071 for a free replacement.

Of course, I'm assuming you're using the grate with handles on top and the one without handles on the bottom. By chance did they send you two grates without handles? Because the bottom grate is smaller and won't work on top.

Also, there is an article on the website about baking pizza and other stuff in the WSM:

Baking with the Weber Bullet

Regards,
Chris

Just my new user input:

1) Had the same on my first cook, resolved (probably by gunk) on my 2nd cook.
2) I'm new to the WSM (4 cooks) and have probably played with the top grate too much already but never had it fall down during a cook. If you angle it in (45 degrees or better), it will fit inside the body but I would think it's an angle you wouldn't hit while cooking.
3) I'm too new to comment on design but on my last cook I kept it in the smoke range for 8 hrs easily with just a few dial ins within the first 2 hours (outside of my own error regarding fuel later in the cook).
Last Note) In my opinion, if you want pizza oven temps you are using the wrong tool. I grill on a grill and smoke on a smoker. I also don't take my wife's coupe off roading.

Just my observations and opinions so best of luck Darrel.

James

I don't have a problem with my top grate but I have the older style 18.5 " unit.

I was at a BQ store yesterday and noticed that the top rack could be pushed to one side such that the far tab was no longer supporting the rack. If that side had weight on it the shelf would have gone down.

The washers sound like a quick fix, one behind each and you should be set.

Back