hot pepper jelly

Nicole

TVWBB Member
This is a wonderful recipe for hot pepper jelly.
I usually make it in the summer when i get some home grown jalepeno peppers. It makes about 6 jars, depending on the size jar you use. Some batches have turned out super hot and some on the milder side. It really depends on the peppers. Make sure you taste it before you can it, you can always had more heat. (tabasco or cayane pepper)

Oh, I forgot! Wear gloves when you cut up the peppers and put the seeds in as well.

1 1/2 cup hot peppers with seeds
1 1/2 cup vinegar
6 cups of sugar
1 sure gell

bring the vinegar, peppers and sure gell to a boil.
add sugar and bring to a boil
then can it

This is my Nanna's recipe. You can add a little green or red food coloring in at the end to make it festive for the holidays in case you want to give jars as gifts.
Also, let it rest 24 hours bebore using, it will thicken up after it's refrigerated.

I eat it with cheese and crackers, sandwiches, and it's especially good on sausage-cheese balls. I will have to try and put fruit in it next time.

Hope you enjoy

Hi Ray,
Sure Gell is like plain jello. You can find it around the jello, or canning items in your local super markets.

Unless I'm mistaken, SureJell is pectin and not gelatine. You can make your own if you're crazy, or otherwise inclined, by removing just the yellow rind (exocarp) from from a lemon, leaving the white (mesocarp) exposed. Slice paper thin and simmer for an hour keeping covered with water. Strain through muslin and squeeze out liquid.

morgan

I agree Nicole. It's way too much hassle, but it can be done. Then again, I know people that think soup comes from cans.
icon_wink.gif

morgan

Sure-Jell is the brand name of a fruit pectin product used specifically for making jellies and jams. Knox unflavored gelatin or jello won't interchange with it in making pepper jelly.

I made a big batch of hot pepper jelly right before Christmas - some out of red bell pepper and red jalapeno witha bit of red coloring, and some out of green bell pepper and green jalapeno, tinted green. Still have a few jars - the longer it sits in the cabinet, the hotter it gets. Very good on meats. I think my recipe was similar to yours, Nicole - I'm always on the watch for good ones. Thank you!

BTW, if you're so inclined as to make sugarless pepper jelly, it works with Splenda.

Has anyone tried making pepper jelly with fruit like berries or cherries or citrus? If so, how would you suggest modifying Nicole's recipe?

Phil, coincidentally I've been working on habanero-fruit jelly this past week with a different recipe that I posted here.

Back