I'll get it started....

Steve Mayer

TVWBB Fan
I love your cookbooks and recipes.

How did you go from graduating from culinay school(CIA?)to chef/author?

Was grilling always apart of what you wanted to do or was it a passion that developed from the other positions you’ve held?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting this off to a good start.

After I graduated from the CIA, I moved to the Napa Valley and took a job as the chef at St. Supery Winery. I didn’t have a public restaurant there, but I cooked for the trade (wine retailers, distributors, etc) as well as corporate customers who wanted to throw a party at the winery. My kitchen there was smaller than what most home cooks have available, so whenever a big group was coming, I moved outside and grilled on some big Ranch kettles. It was there on the edge of the vineyards, with roaring charcoal fires and an expense account to cover whatever I felt like cooking, that I fell in love with grilling.

A few years later I was hired by a food and wine magazine as an editor (it’s closed now) and I started to write articles for a variety of publications. My college degree was in Economics, but I would have majored in English if I had had the courage. I just didn’t think I would find a job as an English major. Anyway, after the food and wine magazine folded, Weber approached me about helping them with a cookbook. Thank God they did! If not, I’d probably be working for a bank. No offense to anyone who is. It’s just not for me. I feel very fortunate that my first book, Weber’s Art of the Grill, was well received. It launched my career in cookbook publishing.

It’s good to hear from you, Steve.

Jamie

Jamie - I wasn't aware of your association with St. Supery Winery. I tried their wine when I was in my Muscat tasting phase. I gave it 5 of 5 stars in my rating system.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie Purviance:

After I graduated from the CIA, ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jamie

WOW! that got my attention for a second ... then, of course, I realized ... Culinery Institute of America
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Back