Surf & Turf w/ Hoppin John

Well our winter has been very mild. I have not had to shovel or plow snow yet this year. My wife convinced me to move my traditional grilling spot from the pole barn area to the deck. She bought me a grill pad to arrest sparks and a table for the 22" as a Christmas present along with a Nikon Coolpix L24 so I can take better pictures.

Although the 22" looks comfortable out there the weather was starting to take a change for the worse. They are talking 1-2 feet of snow tonight along with winds to 50 mph. I looks as if they might be right

038.jpg

But up here in Michigan we have 9 months of winter and 3 months of tough sleddin' I picked up some Scallops and Delmonico steaks for a little Surf & Turf action and as southern tradition goes I picked up some Hoppin John for New Year's
while I watched the Loins lose to those Cheeseheads from Wisconsin.

061.jpg

The Delmonico's

040.jpg

Then salted and resting nicely.

041.jpg

My kid bought me some ceramic bread bowls as a Christmas present so I made some Asiago Cheese bread to accompany the meal.

044.jpg

When I need a hot fire I just use a charcoal grate over a chimney to make my meal. So it was the Scallops first they were wrapped in bacon, seasoned with salt,pepper and garlic paste.

050.jpg

After they were done it was time for the Delmonico's one at a time seared nicely over high heat.

054.jpg

So as I ring this New Year in during a Blizzard (but still grilling) I wish you all a Happy New Year

Here's Your Plate.....

057.jpg

Back