Halibut Recipes From Alaska (3)

Tom Murtiashaw

TVWBB Member
1. Pan-Sauteed Halibut with Fresh Tomatoes & Basil

1 pound fresh halibut, cut into 4 4-ounces pieces
Seafood Breader (I use House of Autry)
2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
1/3- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup white wine or Vermouth (optional)
2-3 tablespoons capers, drained (optional)
Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste

Coat halibut pieces with seafood breader. Pan saute in olive oil until golden brown on both sides and fish flakes easily.

Remove halibut and keep warm. Pour off any unwanted olive oil. Pour in white wine and stir. Lower heat. Add the tomatoes, basil, and capers and allow mixture to heat through (don't boil). Divide tomato mixture and spoon onto serving plates. Place a piece of sauteed halibut on top. Serve with tartar sauce.

Comments: The best tartar sauce with this dish is a tartar sauce with capers and dill. I put the halibut on top of the tomato mixture, as pouring it over the top of the fish takes away from the sauteed crust. This dish is good served with Jasmine rice or baked potatoes.

2. Halibut Piccata

1 pound halibut, cut into 4 4-ounce pieces
Seafood breader
Olive oil
2-3 tablespoons butter
4 cloves of garlic, cut into fine slivers
Juice from 1 lemon
1/4 cup capers, drained
1-2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped (optional)
1/4 cup fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped

Coat halibut pieces in seafood breader. Saute in olive oil until golden brown on both sides and fish flakes easily. Remove and keep warm. Add butter and allow to melt. Saute slivers of garlic for 1-2 minutes (do not allow to brown). Add lemon juice, capers and dill. Stir just until heated through. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.

3. Beer Battered Halibut

Beer Battered Halibut mix (I use a brand called Dipt)
1 pound halibut, cut into chunks
Vegetable or peanut oil

Prepare batter according to directions on box. Dip chunks into batter and coat well. Fry halibut chunks in vegetable oil until golden brown.

Comments: use several inches of oil; chunks need to be deep fried. If you want crispy chunks, after dipping in batter roll halibut chunks in panko crumbs, then deep fry. Serve with tartar sauce. Good with fries or baked potato.

Back