Cleaning inside of kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
I just picked up a 22.5 inch One Touch Silver from Craigslist yesterday for $15. It's in good condition overall, but I don't think the charcoal bowl has been cleaned out...ever.

Yesterday I used a fireplace shovel to clean out most of the gunk and scrape the walls as best I could. There is still a good bit of caked on junk that I would like to remove.

What's the best way? I have had a Weber kettle for almost 10 years but it's never gotten that dirty so I'm in uncharted territory. I envision that steel wool would do the trick quite well, but that would probably damage the grill. Any ideas?

Lee, A tin foil ball works for me, some simple green to degrease if needed.

Simple green is non toxic, biodegradeable cleaner that works out quite well for cleaning my WSM.

I would be careful and not scrap too much of the inside, dont wanna damage the finish. I clean mine up with a garden hose on the inside then build a nice fire to ensure it's all dry and cook out the remaining junk.

Lee,
Years ago, I 'inherited' my father's Weber kettle when he received a gasser at Christmas. It was pretty filthy inside so I sprayed it with EZ Off oven cleaner and let it sit overnight. I had to repeat this a couple of times but it came out looking almost new and the interior wasn't damaged at all.

I use a weed burner to burn off all the grease and crud. Then, after it cools, I spray it with a pressure washer. I also use the pressure washer on the outside of the grill to keep it clean.

Bill

i use an oven cleaner overnight. might require several applications. copper wool helps in the scrubbing with no harm. afterwards, wash with dishwater soap and rinse well. might apply some polish on the outside as a final step.

Originally posted by Lee Morris:
Thanks for the info.

What kind of "polish" is best for the outside?
From the WEBER web site.

Never:

Wax or paint the lid.The finish on your grill is baked-on porcelain enamel, so you never have to wax or paint it. This finish is glossier and much more durable than paint, and wax will only streak when the grill gets hot. So just wipe the lid down with warm, soapy water when it gets dusty or dirty. Easy!

i don't wax either. was just mentioning what i read that others have said they did. guess i should not have mentioned it. but weber is wrong. their stuff does not remain shiny through the years.

I would go with a large hot fire, oven cleaner can damage the aluminum pieces, then follow that with a scrub with an aluminum foil ball.

Frank, where do you find your "Tin Foil", i look every time I go into the market but can't find any
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by george curtis:
i don't wax either. was just mentioning what i read that others have said they did. guess i should not have mentioned it. but weber is wrong. their stuff does not remain shiny through the years.
George, No worries. I think if you used a good cleaner and rinse well the shine will come back pretty easy. Use like Greased Lightning, or a good car wash soap to cut through the film that builds up on the outside. Anything that washes off easily and doesn't leave a film. That said mine has been outside for 6 years now and never washed the outside. It still shines in a few places, very few, for the most part it has a haze on it. Still cooks good so I don't care what it looks like, but that's just me.
icon_biggrin.gif

ahh Bill...... "Tin Foil" .......

I think they only sell that in the northeast region of america. You can't find it in Cali

Most others call it aluminium foil
icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back