Harry Soo foiling question

Brian Silvey

TVWBB Member
Secret tip: You shouldn't foil until the bark has formed. Else the crust, rub, and all important Maillard reaction will sloth off when you foil. So I don't put my ribs back into the smoker as I already have a wonderful crust. The foiling softens the crust and tenderizes the meat.

The above is a quote from the Harry Soo PDF. I'm not sure i understand what he means by the bolded section. Does he foil the ribs and then NOT put them back in the smoker? If so, where does he finish his ribs?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian, welcome to the forum. It is Harry Soo, not Sook.

here is a recipe from his web site.

2 cup of your favorite BBQ Sauce

Remove membrane from bone side of ribs. Place ribs on aluminum foil pan and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides evenly with the SYD Rib Rub; about 2 tbsp of rub for each side. Let rest in refrigerator for 1 hour for rub to “sweat” into meat. Place ribs meat side up into 275 – 300 degree smoker with some hickory wood chips.

After two hours and when crust has formed, remove from smoker and place meat side up on a sheet of aluminum foil. Sprinkle an even thin layer of brown sugar on meat. Drizzle honey next. Flip over so bone side is up. Repeat the brown sugar and honey step. Put 3-4 tbsp of apple juice at the bottom of the foil before folding the ribs up into a airtight pouch. Return to smoker and cook for another 1 ½ hours.

After 3 ½ hours total cook time, unwrap the foil and check the ribs for doneness. Use a toothpick and poke the meat between the bones. If the toothpick slides in easily, the ribs are done. You can also tell it’s done when the meat pulls away about ½ inch from the ends of the bones. If not yet done, close the foil, return to smoker, and check back in 10 minutes. Repeat until ribs are done. Be patient while they tenderize. When done, remove from foil and paint on a thin layer of your favorite BBQ sauce. Return to smoker for 10 minutes for sauce to set.

Can you tell me where you found the quote you referenced. I have looked at his interview here from 2010 but it's too big to read everything right now.
Good question tho.

Hi mk, thanks for the welcome. It is from the PDF titled "The BBQ Wisdom of Harry Soo". On page 7 under the heading title "Foil". It must be typo or something as it probably means he has enough bark on the ribs and he doesn't need to expose the ribs to more smoke.

Thanks,
Brian

Hmmm, interesting thing to say. I am sure Harry could clear it up. You can send him an email.
I have cooked at comps with Harry many times. He is very hospitable and will answer questions readily.

Mark

Some people put their ribs back on the cooker after taking them out of the foil to "tighten" the bark back up. Harry seems to be saying that he doesn't need to do that since he already has a good crust, and the foiling merely softens up the crust.

Pat

I believe that Harry means is that he wraps them and doesn't place them back in the smoker because he doesn't want that bark etc to diminish.

Harry's response is short and sweet. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hey Brian:
Not sure what I wrote 3 years ago but the bolded sentence is incorrect.
Thanks for noticing it.
Best,
Harry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the mystery is solved. Well sort of. In any case I'm sticking my ribs back in the smoker.
icon_smile.gif

Brian

He speaks 2 langauges so we can cut him some slack. I go thru the same thing with my Father who is French Canadian, we are builders, specialize in bathroom remodeling yet still says plum-Ber. Still does not know the difference between " I will be there within the hour" "Within an hour". I can start a whole thread on song lyrics mangled by my Mother.

Back