Finally got a slicer.

Dom R

TVWBB Super Fan
Its a Hobart 1612 and I paid very little for it. Its used but slices real nice. Its a bit of a tank thou at approximately 100 pounds in weight and has a 12 inch blade.
I'm basically going to use it to slice paper thin prosciutto,salami etc and definitely home made bacon, BBQ brisket and roasts.
Just wondering what else the folks around here use their slicer for.

Wow. This is an item that will last longer than your lifetime, if you are not a professional. Congratulations!

Wiht such a machine I'd try to do some paid work. Slice up meats from other foodies, and charge them.

If you don't mind, what was "very little"? I've found one for $500 and am undecided/wondering.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Len Dennis:
If you don't mind, what was "very little"? I've found one for $500 and am undecided/wondering. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Len, I was quite lucky that the person selling is a friend of the family and only wanted $100. I've seen them on KiJiji for way more and on eBay for up to $800.
I'm not sure I'd pay $500 but I might pay $350 if it works good.

I'm going clean it up as good as possible and post some pics. Its pretty awesome and feels like it can slice anything in its path.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hobart 1612 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks just like one we have at work.

They are heavy especially the ones with the automatic settings.

The main issue is cleaning. They are a pain to clean. To clean we drag it onto a cart with wheels. Wheel it over to a sink with a flexible spray arm. Drag it onto the sink counter to spray/clean it off.

Thanks.

Ya, the cleaning aspect of such a machine is giving me pause.

I hesitate on buying almost 100% of the used ones I find because virtually every one is rusty in some way or other.

I was thinking a big heavy slicer ahould be on a table and not on wheels. Would a table with casters not move when slicing?
Jeepers those tables are expensive.

just got my slicer serviced.Lubed and a nice sharpening of the blade. What a difference it has made. I sliced some cacciatore dry sausages so thin you can see right through it.

If you want a quality slicer and can find a good deal.....I highly recommended the 1612 Hobart.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Len Dennis:
Thanks.

Ya, the cleaning aspect of such a machine is giving me pause.

I hesitate on buying almost 100% of the used ones I find because virtually every one is rusty in some way or other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Len its not that terrible to clean. It doesn't have a lot of nooks and crannies for meat to get into. I've recently found a few on Kijiji (in good shape andf no rust) and I believe that if you make a decent offer they will take it. People who have no interest in these machines want it out of their place fast because it takes up a far bit of room.

No problem Len.

If you do find one of these and you are thinking about pulling the trigger.....make sure you inspect it very well before you take it. Check and ensure the blade is in good condition and not chipped or visibly thin as a new blade is big bucks to replace. Make sure (if its a Hobart) it has the sharpener included as this will also cost a bit. Ensure the it doesn't make any rubbing or grinding sounds when its running and that the sliding tray actually slides smoothly with little effort. If it doesn't slide smoothly then there might be issues. Lastly, make sure the idex dial (thickness)can be turned smoothly also. Since a lot of these slicers are not used for long periods of time, they may require a simple oil but also make have bearings seized up which would be a big problem. This is what the service guy at Nella told me when I asked him all these questions so I'm just passing this info over to you.

Alright I'll shut up now.

Back