Washington > Issaquah: Stan's BBQ

Chris Mason

TVWBB Fan
http://www.stansbarbq.com/

I ate lunch at this place on Front Street the other day and it was a bit of a mixed bag.

Let me say this right now - Stan can smoke a brisket. It was moist, tender and flavorful, just the way you want it and far better than any other brisket I've had in the northwest.

The baked beans were also delicious. I'm not usually a beans kind of guy, but I had a taste of my wife's and they were fantastic.

We also tasted the smoked turkey and smoked ham. Both were good but neither really stood out. The cole slaw was disappointing. Probably not a big deal to most people but I'm a big cole slaw fan and I wouldn't order it again here.

There was one oddity here I need to mention: The sauce. It's a KC-type semi-thick, tomato-based sweet sauce. But the primary flavor was that of chili powder. Don't get me wrong, I like chili powder in my sauce, but this was a LOT of chili powder (I'm guessing ancho or a mix with ancho) and not only did that flavor dominate the sauce, it dominated whatever you put it on. Definitely not for me.

Summary: The meats were good to great (brisket). The beans were great, the cole slaw wasn't. And the sauce was just weird.

I'd eat there again if I was really craving brisket (but I'd probably bring my own sauce) but otherwise, I'd rather go to Cedar River in Renton.

Back