22" cover question

Don Irish

TVWBB Pro
The cover for my 18” is an ENORMOUS PITA to put on/take off, barely goes on it is so tight….my question is how well would the cover for the 22” fit on an old model 18”? Any idea what one costs?

don,

i'll try my 22 cover on my classic 18 and report back to you. i agree, the classic cover can be a pain in the rear!

don,

the 22 cover almost touches the ground on the 18. goes on much easier, of course. doesn't seem like a strong wind would blow it off.

Many thanks Greg...I'll check out the price as soon as the Weber store comes back on-line. I never saw how folks put handles on their WSM, my cover just barely fits with a LOT of tugging now...never would with handles.

Originally posted by Don Irish:
Many thanks Greg...I'll check out the price as soon as the Weber store comes back on-line. I never saw how folks put handles on their WSM, my cover just barely fits with a LOT of tugging now...never would with handles.

Putting the cover on over the handles does require patience to get it over the handles, and even over the knob on the charcoal door. I'm considering having my wife modify the cover (I've got a roll of pvc-coated fabric that's a close enough match) to provide a little extra play so it won't be such a PITA.

That would clearly be another option Larry - would she do 2?
icon_smile.gif

I've read that others just use a kettle cover. By far the most frustrating part of the WSM for me is the poorly fitting cover, it is too frustrating for me to use at all (but I suffer from FIS - Frustration Intolerance Syndrome)

Me I've seen 10 year old WSM's that were kept outside uncovered and still look real good. Me I wouldn't do it I keep it uncovered but in the garage.

Originally posted by Robert Oleksak:
Me I've seen 10 year old WSM's that were kept outside uncovered and still look real good. Me I wouldn't do it I keep it uncovered but in the garage.

i need to keep mine covered because of the winds. if i didn't, they would be covered with dust and dirt.

Last night I spoke with Weber's customer service about ordering a 22" cover for my 18" WSM (I have the quad handle mod and cannot use my 18" cover). The Weber representative told me that they couldn't sell me one because those covers are not part of their sales portfolio. However, that representative was going to ask their sales department about making covers available for purchase. If/When she calls me back I'll update this thread.

Originally posted by Justin Toomer:
Does anybody know how well the 22" cover fits on the 22"? Is that a tight fit as well?

the 22 fits the 22 like the 18 fits the 18.

Originally posted by Jer:
Last night I spoke with Weber's customer service about ordering a 22" cover for my 18" WSM (I have the quad handle mod and cannot use my 18" cover). The Weber representative told me that they couldn't sell me one because those covers are not part of their sales portfolio. However, that representative was going to ask their sales department about making covers available for purchase. If/When she calls me back I'll update this thread.

Weber never did get back to me. Chris' recently posted parts schematic page reminded me to call them back. Owners of an 18" WSM can now order a 22" vinyl cover (part #99915) for ~$30.

Ok, I'm "glad" to see that others are just as unhappy about the tight cover as I am. Literally my only beef about my new WSM 18.5.

On my cover, there is an elastic band at the bottom that expands on both side to allow the cover to fit over and be held tight to the smoker. I wonder if that was cut would it help in getting the cover on. I'm going to try it anyway -- otherwise the cover is too much of a PITA to use.

I have another question re the cover, but I'll open a new thread on that. Rich

Anybody know the total length of the 22 cover versus the classic cover? The classic cover will loosen up over time as that elastic relaxes with age. I am looking for a little more length in the cover since adding the extender. It would be good if the 22 reaches a bit further down in my case. Just wondering how much longer it is to see if it's worth switching.

About one year ago I was having a problem with the cover for my 18.5 WSM leaking whenever it rained. I finally called CS and explained my problem, and they confirmed that they were having problems with the covers leaking. The young lady at CS told me that she would send me a new improved one. Well, this one doesn't leak as badly, and it's not a PITA to put on the WSM-it's actually pretty easy to get it on.

Back