Book(s) to start with

Dudley Rose

TVWBB Fan
Hi Jamie,

I have friends who plan to start grilling with charcoal (they've been using gas). I recommended your new book to them, but my question is, are there others of your books that it would be good for them to have right at the start?

Thanks,
Dudley Rose

Dudley,

First of all, thanks for encouraging your friends to try the art cooking with charcoal. Honestly, I don’t know of another book that covers charcoal so specifically. That’s one important reason I wrote it. There are MANY good grilling books that cover important techniques, and many of those techniques relate to charcoal, but my latest is as good a place to start as any, I think.

For people who are new to this, it’s often a matter of getting over a fear of a wild fire. I recommend they start with basic briquettes and the types of food that are the most forgiving. Things like sausages and corn on the cob. It’s tough to screw those up. If they get any flare-ups, they can always move the food over indirect heat. Once people are reasonably comfortable with the ways a charcoal fire changes over time, they are usually well on their way to a charcoal obsession.

Good luck.

Jamie

Back