WSM Tel-Tru Mod II

J D McGee

TVWBB Pro
Hi folks...I just finished installing my second Tel-Tru in to my new WSM. I used a #4 uni-bit and drilled a 3/4 hole. I then used a 1/2 inch NPT and ran it down until I got the correct dial orientation...easy peasy. I now have twin WSM's waiting for the summer competitions.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Very Nice Job. Do you prefer the tapped hole versus your previous method? If I remember correctly, you drilled a thru hole and used some type of coupler.

Where did you purchase the Tel-Tru?

I prefer this method as opposed to the previous. The thermometer stuck out too much and made it difficult to put the cover on. I got the thermo from Tel-Tru. They sell an installation kit that has a washer so you won't have to tap the hole...just drill it large enough for the thermo to fit through and attach the nut on the back. I had the tap at the shop so I saved myself a few bucks.

http://www.teltru.com/cart/detail.asp?subcat=16&product_id=351K02FBAKLA4AA

http://www.teltru.com/cart/detail.asp?product_id=4903101

With a standard installation of the Tel-Tru, how close to the top grate do you want the stem to come? Have you ever used a Polder, or similar to test the temps against the Tel-Tru? What is the difference, if any? If there is a difference, can you re-calibrate the Tel-Tru, or do you just make mental adjustment of difference?

Thanks

Earl

I too am new here. My WSM smoker is on it's way from Amazon, and I just ordered the Tel-Tru and installation kit. I am moving up from the Brinkmann (ECB??)

Question regarding using the Poulder in a smoker: I read somewhere that you should stick it into a potato, and place the spud on the top grid. Is that correct? and how does that really measure the ambient temp inside the smoker?

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Hendry:

Question regarding using the Poulder in a smoker: I read somewhere that you should stick it into a potato, and place the spud on the top grid. Is that correct? and how does that really measure the ambient temp inside the smoker?

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob, You stick the probe through the potato so the end is sticking out the other side of the potato. This way you get a accurate reading on the grate temp with no worries of the probe falling down through the grate. You can also use a cork, or wire the probe to the grate. HTH

Thanks - yes - it's clear now. And it really makes sense. Glad I checked in this morning - I'm fixin' to put a butt and a shoulder on the ol' ECB in just a couple minutes - I'll try the potato trick. Generally, I'd stick it in the meat and monitor the meat's temp. But the results weren't very consistent . . .

Thanks again,
Bob Hendry
Southern Maryland

Back