Brining with apple cider

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
If I want to brine something, chicken or turkey for example, can I use straight apple juice or cider with salt as opposed to using water with salt. I know it would be more expensive but wouldn't the bird get a nice apple flavor? I imagine it would be good with pork also.

See here. And yes, you can use it with pork. I do a somewhat similar one for whole bone-in pork loins.

Note that other juices, aromatics, spices can be used in place of or with the other ingredients.

Thanks for the info. I keep forgeting to check out the rest of this site. My bad
icon_redface.gif

Dave
As a lover of chinese 5 spice try adding 2 teaspoons to your brine mixture for chicken. After doing it for a couple of Barbecues for my friends it is now the standard way that they do chickens. Brining is the best way to get the aromatics into the meat. You can use just about anything, but don't overdo it, addition of too many aromatics will kill the poultry taste and the blend may take on a strange taste.

Regards

Paul
Pat dry with paper towel and stand upright in the fridge, cavity down, on a suitable sized plastic tumbler to air dry for a few hours.
Brush with oil and apply a rub (if required, I don't)

Regards

Originally posted by paul h:
Bryan, is it necessary to rinse the brine off the turkey?
Paul, not sure about that one I always washed it off because I eat the skin. Guessing the taste of the brine might be overpowering on the skin without washing it off?

Back