Fatwood to light charcoal?

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
On a recent camping trip, I had to go into work for a while. On the way back, I was giving the wife instructions on how to light the weber chimney using newspaper (so I could get a head start on grilling before dark). When I arrived, she told me - "I tried that newspaper and all it did was smoke. So I put one of those campfire starter stick thing-ees in there and it worked great". (Translation: one sheet of newspaper didn't work so she put a stick of fatwood in).

When I arrived, it looked like it had worked just fine. My question is: any issues / concerns with using fatwood? I'm guessing since it is natural, certainly no petrochemicals involved. I do sense a very evergreen'ish smell to the wood though. The bag states you can use it on a BBQ.

Still livin', but wonderin'......

I think that fatwood is pine with a LOT of resin. A natural product which can give your Q a nasty piney taste - but one stick on the bottom of the chimney will probably burn away before the chimney is READY.

If you were happy with the food, do it again.

By the way - just because it is natural and not a petrochemical does NOT mean that it is safe - think Poison Ivy
icon_wink.gif

Back