Chocolate sauce from cocoa powder

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Alton did a sauce...I remember some of it...

1 part sugar
1 part h2o
1/2 part cocao powder
some cayenne ( he said trust me)
pinch salt
vanilla ext.

Cook sugar and water (salt and cayenne too) to make syrup.
Add cocao powder and whisk. I added half and half seemed richer and vanilla.

I made the first batch and forgot vanilla-not too good.
The second batch tonight I also added 1/3 part half and half and the vannilla. Much better.

The wife caught the one shake too much cayenne!!!

Any recommendations.

I much prefer chocolate sauce that uses unsweetened or bittersweet bar chocolate plus cocoa powder. I do not use milk products in chocolate sauces because I like a very dark flavor (usually), but to carry flavor and to improve mouthfeel for cocoa-only sauces I'll use unsalted butter.

You can use the recipe you have (I much prefer a guajillo-New Mex chile mix; cayenne is a bit bland to me) but start the water/sugar/spice mix on med-low and stir till the sugar is completely dissolved; increase the heat to high and bring to a boil; boil for a minute.

Off heat, add the cocoa (sift into the pot if at all clumpy) and whisk well till smooth. Return to heat. Boil one minute. Off heat, whisk in a little vanilla and about 2 T unsalted butter till the butter is melted and the sauce is smooth.

For best flavor a Dutch-processed cocoa is best, imo. For a different profile also try brown sugar in place of some or all of the white.

Kevin, thanks for the suggestions-butter and brown sugar are good ideas.

My usual choc. sauce is just melted semisweet choc with a little strong coffee.

I got a recipe from Top Sercret Recipe today for a hot chocolate.

2 tbl cocoa
2 tbl sugar
1/4 c H20
Put in microwave for a minute and stir. It becomes a syrup.

Mix in 1 1/4 c milk and 1/4 ts vanilla, and put back in microwave for another minute. Mix, and garnish with whip cream.

Back