WSM X2 mOD

I picked up another center section added a couple cooking grates and ordered a new door( not in yet)to increase my cooking capacity x2 plus it is 100 square inches bigger than the new 22 inch WSM that has ben advertised for $350.00. I only have about fifty bucks into this besides ordering the new maverick dual probe need for the additional space. Savings of about $100.00.
Picture580.jpg

Looks pretty good Robert, can you still easily get at the top grates (or read your therm)? I like your maverick holders too.

Make sure to post pics, I want to see 16 butts on there
icon_cool.gif

Brandon

Yep I'm not that short! Thanks I can't wait to fire 16 butts or 8 briskets or tons of ribs. I think it's time for a party. Well that is as soon as the door and second Maverick arrive.

Hi Robert,

I really like your modification. Even a low tech guy like em could manage this. However, I have a few questions. As I think about performance, it would seem to me that there is going to be a lot of energy (heat) lost as it travels the additional 2 feet through the second middle section on its way to to the top. Do you think that you are going to have to use significantly more fuel in order to come up to and maintain temp and/or find it really difficult to get to temp at all when dealing with 60 lbs. or so of raw meat? After all, the heat source is remaining the same, even though the area to be heated is being doubled in size.

I look forward to hearing your findings when you fire it up.

Already figured in I took some expanded metal and wired it to my exsisting charcoal ring to make it taller but first I'm gonna try without it. This isn't the 1st time this has been done and I've never heard back that it doesn't work.

Actually, for my stacker, I had a ring made that was 1" taller and 1" wider then the stock ring. I only use it when I put the stacker on.

I think I might be more concerned about the temp difference between the very top grate and the very bottom grate more so than fuel consumption or getting her up.

Be interesting to see if you get 40 or 50 degree difference between very top and very bottom grates, which could be problamatic. There could be solutions to that too though, like an insulating blanket wrapped around the lower wsm only.

Like you say Robert, people been there, done that, you can make it work.

Very Nice!

I myself am more tempted to just get a second whole WSM 18" model, when everybody else goes nuts buying the new ones, and hopefully I see a nice new big supply of the old ones on all the classified lists. That's what I'm holding out for.

Todd

Well didn't have much to do yesterday so I figured what the heck. If it works great if it don't I'll make it work. Trully I'll probably never even use it. Who am I gonna cook that much food for. It's only my wife and I at home now.

Awesome idea. I bet you have no more than a 10 degree difference between the 2 sections once it's up to temp.

Do you use lump? I think the wsm was made for lump charcoal.

Back