TVWBB Wizard
FRICKLES - FRIED PICKLES

1 bottle hamburger dill slices
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1 teaspoon BBQ rub
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup beer

Combine the flour and cornmeal (50/50) and season with your favorite BBQ spice rub. In a small bowl make a slurry of the mustard and beer.

Dip the pickle slices in the mustard-beer mixture and then in the flour-cornmeal [personally, I prefer to shake the pickle slices in plain flour first, THEN into the slurry, THEN into the flour/cornmeal - kc]. Deep fry 5 to 6 pickles at a time at about 370º degrees until the batter is browned, about 30 seconds. Pickles will float to top when done.

Serve hot with cold beer, with ranch dressing as a dip if desired.

Serves 4-6

Recipe from Steak Out in Fairfield, Texas, as shown on Barbecue American Episode 203

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FRENCH FRIED PICKLES

1 qt. dill pickles, thinly sliced
1 3/4 c. all purpose flour, divided
2 T. red pepper
2 t. paprika
2 t. pepper
2 t. garlic salt
1 t. salt
3 dashes Tabasco sauce
1 c. beer

Dredge pickles in 1 c. flour and set aside. Combine remaining 3/4 c. flour with dry ingredients and mix well. Add hot sauce and beer and mix well. Dip dredged pickles into batter and fry in hot oil (375°) til pickles float to the surface and are golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
(yield: 2 1/2 dozen appetizer servings)

(Can't remember where I got this one... sorry)

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

I've had these a few times at different restaurants...Have one suggestion to make them really good...
If you can cut your own to get them super-thin, so you have more crunchy-batter to pickle ratio, they are awesome!!
I love fried food!!

Keri-

I grew up in Louisiana, ate these suckers like candy. We used to serve them with a horseradish type of dip that tasted kinda like the one at outback they have with the bloomin' onions. Have you ever tried them with old bay seasoning in the batter? We fry shrimp, crawfish & catfish with old bay batter and throw pickles & fries in at the end. Can't wait to try this recipe!

A restaurant I go to often in the Charleston area serves fried pickles with their version of Shrimp and Grits. They are wonderful. But they make them with pickle spears.

I've been making these recently. I'm still trying to perfect these though. I do use Emeril's Creole seasoning on the pickles before I dip them in my batter.

My batter is
AP Flour
Salt
Pepper
1 egg
More Creole seasoning to taste
New Castle beer

I used milk the first time and it turned out too floury for my taste. The beer seemed to do better. I think I'm going to add a dash or two of hot sauce for the next batch.

I'm hoping more have made these and share some secrets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Reynolds:
Try doing the same receipe but with pickled okra. Sounds grouse but it is delicous. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm a Yankee, You can have that one.
icon_razz.gif
I'm thinking pickled Jalpenos.
icon_biggrin.gif

Sonic Drive-In used to have something very similar, they called them "Pickle-o's"

crinkle cut hamburger dill slices with onion ring batter and fried up.

I really miss Pickle-o's.

Back