Rust/oxidation on Q200 cast iron grate

Sam M.

I bought a used Q200 from a local auction site recently. Unfortunately the last owner only used the grill few times over a three year period and has what appears to be surface rust on the cast iron grates (see photos).

DU2p8.jpg

SrtRS.jpg

fcH28.jpg

Searching the forum I found several people have experienced similar issue. However, according to the Australian weber website ( http://www.weberbbq.com.au/weberq.htm) Q models should be rust resistant. Reading earlier posts it seems the rusting is due to the damage to the porcelain enameled grate.

My questions for the fellow Q users are:

1. How do I go about cleaning the rust? My initial thought was to sand off the rust and seasoning it like other cast iron cookware. Is this likely to damage the porcelain coating? I have spoken to the local Weber dealer and according to them earlier Q model grates didn't have the porcelain enamel coating.

2. How do you go about cleaning the grates after cooking. The official weber manual recommends cleaning with a brass bristle brush. A video on the Australian weber website ( http://www.weberbbq.com.au/weberq_videos4.htm ) shows a guy cleaning the grill after cooking with a weber grill brush and cold water. I always though cold water on cast iron can cause cracking or warping.

Brush with grill brush ( brass best but stainless ok if use light pressure. Spray with canola spray ( Pam) & put in cooker on low for 30 min, good to go.

Yep - what John said plus, after you have finished cooking, take a little canola or vegetable oil on a paper towel and wipe down the grill surface, leaving a light coating of oil on the grill surface.

Rust resistant doesn't mean rust proof and, especially if you leave the grill outside where humidity swings can occur, you can end up with some surface rust over time. The light oil coating will help prevent that and keep the grill ready for the next cook.

I treat the grill grates on my Char Q and my Q220 just like my cast iron cookwear and have had no problems with rust.

Enjoy your new Q - its a fantastic little cooker!

Pat

Back