Any good recomendations for a vacuum sealer?

Harvey K

TVWBB Member
Any good recomendatons for a vacuum sealer that are maybe under 100.00. Also how long can you store meat products in the freezer when you use one of these.
Thanks

Harvey, check out Amazon.com (through this site's link of course) for the Food Saver brand. IMO, Food Saver builds a pretty good machine and it's performed well for me. Amazon has others (same brand for less).

Frozen meat can keep for many months. Some have held up to a year if sealed properly.

It's a valuable tool and not just for freezing. You can store spices, use a canister attachment for marinating and many other functions.

Harvey,
Do a search for this item. You will get more info that you can ever use! We all cook more than we can eat at one sitting and eventually buy one.

I agree with Toby, I use the handivac constantly, and am more then happy with its performance. I do have a Foodsaver also, which my wife bought me for xmas last year. I use it ocasionally, (when larger bags, 1gal+ are needed) but for normal use, the handivac is just that, handy. I've found the bags in 1qt and 1g...resonably priced....HTH

Brandon

I think I will give the Handi vac a try, since I wont be freezing anything for a long time, and it is very affordable.
Thanks

This link from foodsaver shows their suggested storage times for meat products:

http://www.foodsaver.com/PDF/FSRefGuideCompv2.pdf

beef, pork, lamb 2-3 years
ground meat 1 year
poultry 2-3 years
fish 2 years

I bought a refurb Foodsaver V825 off of ebay for about $40 shipped and it's worked great for the last several years. When I cook ribs or butts I fill the cooker and whatever doesn't get eaten gets vacuum sealed and frozen. Reheat by putting in boiling/hot water for 10 minutes.

I can't find as much time to 'que as I'd like so when I get the chance I cook up a full batch. Just recently we had some of the pulled pork I had made almost a year ago. Tasted pretty good -- not quite as good as fresh cooked, but still better than the stuff they call bbq at the local places around here.

My next purchase is the attachment that lets you use the foodsaver to vacuum pack stuff in canning jars (like rubs, brown sugar, soup, etc.).

I just picked up one yesterday from Walmart. It was 9.99 and the bags were something like 2 or 3 dollars. They keep them in the area where you get regular type sandwich bags and saran wrap type products. I was planning to try it out this weekend and then they predicted rain so I decided not to smoke, but I will sure give it a try in the next couple of weeks.

Back